News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

sound deadening material / door panels

Started by nwfire, April 12, 2022, 12:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwfire

So, #906 is going in for new paint next month.  While this won't be a concourse restoration, I would like to make it as factory correct as I can.  I'm looking for replacement insulation/sound deadening material for around the rear fender wells, and the upper and lower air scoop area.  Currently I can't find any material to match some of the original material still on the car.  Anyone have suggestions as to where to find this material?  Also, I'd like to replace my Deluxe door panels with the brushed aluminum inserts as the ones on the car now are hard as rocks and don't lay flat on the doors.  Anyone have suggestions here also as to who has a quality door panel that fits well?
Thanks for your help.

J_Speegle

Not sure what your referring to around or near the side scoops but for the rear wheel wells - before body color application I like Spectrum Sludge by  Second Skin with a over coat of spray on undercoat (paintable) to finish the look  off if you choose to apply it with a putty knife and paint brush to get the sags and texture of the original. Of course you can also replicate with some of the more expensive products that come in the tube though I find those a little more difficult to apply and get right.

Remember that the product is only maybe 50% of the challenge as it is as much the technique to get things looking right and of course familiarize yourself with what originals look like before hand not some restored car. Also pay attention to how it was originally applied (typically four passes on the bask of the wheel house) so that the product is not only applied to the wheel well magically ending at the edge of the panel

Also while your in there don't forget the sealant line around the inner surface of the outer wheel house near the quarter to house lip or pinch weld
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge