Author Topic: 1967 gt 500 tragedy  (Read 5292 times)

sylvestervia

• View Profile
1967 gt 500 tragedy
« on: April 12, 2022, 12:53:11 PM »
I have recentlly purchased this 1967 shelby GT 500. I have been trying to get it for years and unfortunatly recently the older geltelman caught his garage on fire and it has been destroyed. I am olanning on rebuilding it. He owned it since 1978 and said it was in the registry if any info is available. I updated it with my info today. shelby vin 67411F4A02531. Any help on finding parts and vin tags apriciated. I ordered the deluxe Marti report today. thankyou for any help.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 gt 500 tragedy
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 01:14:43 PM »
 Sorry to hear about the tragedy but congratulations on your purchase. Welcome to this forum and you have come to the right place for help with your 67 Shelby project. Ask specific questions and answers and opinions should follow. Post in the 67 Shelby section of the forum.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 01:38:34 PM »
I have recentlly purchased this 1967 shelby GT 500. I have been trying to get it for years and unfortunatly recently the older geltelman caught his garage on fire and it has been destroyed. I am olanning on rebuilding it. He owned it since 1978 and said it was in the registry if any info is available. I updated it with my info today. shelby vin 67411F4A02531. Any help on finding parts and vin tags apriciated. I ordered the deluxe Marti report today. thankyou for any help.

A truly worthy and ambitious endeavour, any chance you can post pictures as the chassis sits today?

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 03:13:39 PM »
Good luck....

Just remember...
You're not the first.....

Bret

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 04:12:07 PM »
Challenges ahead it seems but take your time before you get start. Make a plan after understanding all the challenges and issues then really, really try to stick to it. Like building houses changes in the plan cost money and effort. 

Choices you make at this point will be major issues (good or bad) in moving forward and what the car will be for the rest of its existence most likely. Poor choices will limit your or the next owners choices and possibly value in the future 

Good luck
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

DC-DD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 06:42:19 PM »
I'm curious as to why you still want to try to bring the car back?
If the car was fully engulfed in the fire the metal is not even worth
Using as a starting point.
You will replace so much that it will basically  be a clone. You will spend a fortune trying to build . Plus the car will always have the fire history.
Maybe I am wrong and I am imagining the car as a total loss as it sits.
My suggestion start chasing another car.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 07:05:52 PM »
Challenges ahead it seems but take your time before you get start. Make a plan after understanding all the challenges and issues then really, really try to stick to it. Like building houses changes in the plan cost money and effort. 

Choices you make at this point will be major issues (good or bad) in moving forward and what the car will be for the rest of its existence most likely. Poor choices will limit your or the next owners choices and possibly value in the future 

Good luck

That is as good advice as you will ever hear

6S373
6S1276

sylvestervia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 09:56:35 AM »
I want to first thank everyone for thier coments and yes this car is a big challenge for sure. As much as these cars bring this is as close to one as i will ever get. I am very good with metal work as i have been working on Mustangs in south Texas with rust issues for most of my life. i have owned mustangs since my first when i was 16 in 1985.the car had no rust to begin with so frame rails and floor pans are all still intack. biggest thing will be roof and quarters. It may not be a contures show car when I am done but i will be saving it and dont plan on ever selling it. It is my dream car and I will enjoy it hopefully for many years to come. Even if i never get it finished how many people can say they own a real 67 GT 500. lol

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 10:17:39 AM »
Pix of this “crispy critter” please….

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 10:20:26 AM »
Pix of this “crispy critter” please….

Yeah, what he said....
RARE  Signature Delete

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 11:01:06 AM »
Depends on one's definition of destroyed.  Like others, would like to see a picture. 
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2022, 12:17:57 PM »
I want to first thank everyone for thier coments and yes this car is a big challenge for sure. As much as these cars bring this is as close to one as i will ever get. I am very good with metal work as i have been working on Mustangs in south Texas with rust issues for most of my life. i have owned mustangs since my first when i was 16 in 1985.the car had no rust to begin with so frame rails and floor pans are all still intack. biggest thing will be roof and quarters. It may not be a contures show car when I am done but i will be saving it and dont plan on ever selling it. It is my dream car and I will enjoy it hopefully for many years to come. Even if i never get it finished how many people can say they own a real 67 GT 500. lol
Glad to see it being saved even if only partially there to start with. Keep the faith .  :)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 02:30:05 PM »
I'm reminded of one of Jim Osborne's cars, a white GT500KR convertible, if my memory doesn't fail me, that caught fire while his son was driving it on the way to a show back in the '90's.  Seems the electric top motor shorted out and, before it was discovered, the car became engulfed in flames.  It was a total loss but they brought it back from the "dead" to full concours condition. It can be done!
5S071, 6S1467

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 06:34:53 PM »
I'm reminded of one of Jim Osborne's cars, a white GT500KR convertible, if my memory doesn't fail me, that caught fire while his son was driving it on the way to a show back in the '90's.  Seems the electric top motor shorted out and, before it was discovered, the car became engulfed in flames.  It was a total loss but they brought it back from the "dead" to full concours condition. It can be done!

Thought that was a 69. Could be mistaken 
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

NC TRACKRAT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2022, 07:38:41 PM »
Coulda been, Jeff. The older I get, the more mistakes I make. :)
5S071, 6S1467