Author Topic: 1967 gt 500 tragedy  (Read 5291 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
Re: 1967 gt 500 tragedy
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 09:20:22 PM »
Still no picture?
RARE  Signature Delete

Bill

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 08:24:32 AM »
I'm reminded of one of Jim Osborne's cars, a white GT500KR convertible, if my memory doesn't fail me, that caught fire while his son was driving it on the way to a show back in the '90's.  Seems the electric top motor shorted out and, before it was discovered, the car became engulfed in flames.  It was a total loss but they brought it back from the "dead" to full concours condition. It can be done!

Jim's was a 69, there was however a red 68 GT500KR convertible with a similar story. I believe sold at auction if memory serves me correctly and then properly treated, then restored several years ago. May even had an article in the SAAC quarterly....

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

65KGT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • RedOak Mustangs
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2022, 10:47:08 AM »
Before and after of Jim and Sue's '69 GT500.
65 Restomod Coupe
65 KGT Fastback

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2022, 12:24:21 PM »
OK, now that we have a different car with the exception of where is the car now, straightened out.....
back to the car of topic, we still have no pictures? Is the car of topic already "Fixed"? Or re-bodied?
If I remember correctly a burned up metal car weakens and thins out the metal, would you really want to drive a car like that?
RARE  Signature Delete

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2022, 02:51:37 PM »
OK, now that we have a different car with the exception of where is the car now, straightened out.....
back to the car of topic, we still have no pictures? Is the car of topic already "Fixed"? Or re-bodied?
If I remember correctly a burned up metal car weakens and thins out the metal, would you really want to drive a car like that?

Additional damage to the metal is often done when quenching of the metal quickly by the application of water at the scene. As I understand it makes the metal more brittle.

On the other issue. Would not expect pictures to be shared by the owner publicly. Why would they and how would that benefit them?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2022, 03:27:50 PM »

Additional damage to the metal is often done when quenching of the metal quickly by the application of water at the scene. As I understand it makes the metal more brittle.

On the other issue. Would not expect pictures to be shared by the owner publicly. Why would they and how would that benefit them?

True about sharing pictures.....I am just wondering why even open up this forum? It can open up a can of worms.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 05:35:35 PM »
Show us…
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 08:40:41 PM »
Pics would document this stage of the cars history,so….

stephen_becker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2022, 06:05:05 PM »
Before and after of Jim and Sue's '69 GT500.

I sold Jim Osborn’s car. It went to a guy in Michigan. This was back when Osborn was alive and he owned the car. My understanding was that it caught fire on the way to an MCA national show in Tennessee years prior.

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2022, 10:30:41 PM »

True about sharing pictures.....I am just wondering why even open up this forum? It can open up a can of worms.
.       “Opening up a can of worms”would only be an issue if you were trying to conceal this part of the cars history as far as I can see,which would be a bad thing…..

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2022, 03:31:13 PM »
  You might want to do an internet "search" for "Graveyard cars".  They do a lot of U-tube stuff. They rebuilt a big block 'cuda that was in a fire.  Yep', they specialize in Mopars but the information would be the same.
  Really depends on how bad the fire was.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2022, 06:29:06 PM »
I'm reminded of one of Jim Osborne's cars, a white GT500KR convertible, if my memory doesn't fail me, that caught fire while his son was driving it on the way to a show back in the '90's.  Seems the electric top motor shorted out and, before it was discovered, the car became engulfed in flames.  It was a total loss but they brought it back from the "dead" to full concours condition. It can be done!
That exactly entered my mind as well. Being from the south here, I remember that very well.