Author Topic: What’s the price on 68 restored California special?  (Read 5442 times)

1969shelbygt350

• View Profile
What’s the price on 68 restored California special?
« on: April 24, 2022, 07:29:51 PM »
My friend has a restored 68 California special. He doesn’t know how much he should ask for it!
Advise! Thx

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: What’s the price on 68 restored California special?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 08:09:33 PM »
A lot depends on the drivetrain and obviously what condition the car is truly in.  “Restored” has many meanings. 

1969shelbygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 08:49:06 PM »
With many original parts I was told.  Online prices from high 30s to low 40s

hertz350

• 509-953-8400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 10:47:38 PM »
I have seen nice 289 automatic cars starting at $25,000
Own SFM6S1624, Black Hertz Automatic built 3/66 now concours trailered restored by Ken Degenstein. Former owner of 1042 a red Hertz automatic and 1643 a black automatic Hertz

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 08:45:23 AM »
Engine and transmission make a huge difference as do options and color. Post pictures of the car and the Marti Report. Huge difference between a 6 cylinder automatic stripper versus a big block 4 speed with AC.

428CJ - off the chart.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 11:02:13 AM »
FYI

1968 Ford Mustang California Special Values | Hagerty Valuation Tool®
https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1968-ford-mustang
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 11:53:42 AM »
Engine and transmission make a huge difference as do options and color. Post pictures of the car and the Marti Report. Huge difference between a 6 cylinder automatic stripper versus a big block 4 speed with AC.

428CJ - off the chart.
.   Could you get a C.S. with a 6?I have never seen one.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »

428CJ - off the chart.

No sir

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 12:35:08 PM »

428CJ - off the chart.

No sir
  It's a 200 I6, with a 3-speed, no other options, Seafoam Green, 1 of 80 built that way.Read on.... https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/6-cylinder-california-special.410507/

Or here. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1968-ford-mustang-gt-cs-california-special

I remember when Armond did the body work and paint on a R-code example. 1 of a few. Always wanted one.

notice the 6 cyl in the pic? 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 12:42:02 PM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 01:15:08 PM »

428CJ - off the chart.

No sir
  It's a 200 I6, with a 3-speed, no other options, Seafoam Green, 1 of 80 built that way.Read on.... https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/6-cylinder-california-special.410507/

Or here. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1968-ford-mustang-gt-cs-california-special

I remember when Armond did the body work and paint on a R-code example. 1 of a few. Always wanted one.

Thanks for correcting me,  though he meant 1966 stang CS

Seafoam pretty kool kolor

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 01:26:01 PM »

428CJ - off the chart.

No sir

Thanks for correcting me,  though he meant 1966 stang CS

Seafoam pretty kool kolor
Hey, I learned something new as I didn't know they had a 6 cyl but I don't think I've ever seen Royce wrong on something like this so I decided to do a little research.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 02:05:49 PM »
The options that one could order on the '68 GT/CS when it became available would be essentially the same as the options available on any other '68 Mustang of the same time frame.  Small differences were present when there was a circumstance where items may conflict in terms of the content of the GT/CS package, i.e. badging, stripes, grill mounted lights (GT fog lights vs the Marchal/Lucas lights in the case of the GT/CS), things of that nature.  I always found it puzzling that they used the term "GT/CS" when the GT equipment group was not a standard part of the California Special option.  As Royce and others have pointed out, any engine/transmission available in the "regular" Mustang of the time could be had in the GT/CS.

Sounds like a neat car.  I do like the Seafoam Green, it's not a color often seen on any '68, let alone a California Special.

Paul Newitt's GT/CS books are pretty decent, the original (and now hard to find/pricey), as well as his later effort.  Well worth the price to buy the newer version, IMO.

Terry

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 02:12:12 PM »
Interesting the article credits the design to Carroll Shelby when it was Ford designer who did the 67 Shelby. But I guess designed by Charley McHose just doesn't have the cachet of CS. Since it is a 68 car John Chun another Ford stylist could have had a hand in it.

PS: If you come across a red/black GT/CS (CA black plate ZAZ 235) run away from it. My sister bought it new and they fixed it after it got T-boned. Hit at the drivers A pillar the passenger door gap opened up to 1/2"+. They pulled it back but even the drivers AC vent wasn't in the right place anymore. She kept it another 6-8 months and bought a VW Bug.

GT/CS was a dress up sales tool installed on any Mustang. It added zero performance. I still have both sets of fog lights. If I remember the Marchal were illegal and the dealers swapped them to Lucas. My dad asked the dealer if he could have the takeoffs for his camper and they gave them to him. I took the Lucas ones for my car when my sister traded it in.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 02:19:16 PM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »
Interesting the article credits the design to Carroll Shelby when it was Ford designer who did the 67 Shelby. But I guess designed by Charley McHose just doesn't have the cachet of CS. Since it is a 68 car John Chun another Ford stylist could have had a hand in it.

PS: If you come across a red/black GT/CS (CA black plate ZAZ 235) run away from it. My sister bought it new and they fixed it after it got T-boned. Hit at the drivers A pillar the passenger door gap opened up to 1/2"+. They pulled it back but even the drivers AC vent wasn't in the right place anymore. She kept it another 6-8 months and bought a VW Bug.

GT/CS was a dress up sales tool installed on any Mustang. It added zero performance. I still have both sets of fog lights. If I remember the Marchal were illegal and the dealers swapped them to Lucas. My dad asked the dealer if he could have the takeoffs for his camper and they gave them to him. I took the Lucas ones for my car when my sister traded it in.

Did Carroll Shelby design Little red and the Green Hornet? 

68gtcoupe

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 03:54:30 PM »

Did Carroll Shelby design Little red and the Green Hornet?

To the best of my knowledge, Carroll Shelby didn’t actually design anything.