News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

8T02R216152-04383 on BAT

Started by 5s386, April 14, 2022, 12:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5s386

SOLD  $201K  plus $5K BAT buyer fee. Well done seller!

pbf777

My mom fell in love with the Mercedes 190SL's and in the early '70's decided to buy one.  Unfortunately, upon my disassembly and sending it out for stripping, what came back sent us out looking for another car!    :o

With that experience, not to mention the making of observations of the follies of others  ::),  I would be afraid that this cars' body, if with a restoration effort was returned from the stripper, there might remain less than that hoped for.  Or at least paid for!    :'(

Scott.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: pbf777 on April 26, 2022, 12:11:19 PM

My mom fell in love with the Mercedes 190SL's and in the early '70's decided to buy one.  Unfortunately, upon my disassembly and sending it out for stripping, what came back sent us out looking for another car!    :o

With that experience, not to mention the making of observations of the follies of others  ::),  I would be afraid that this cars' body, if with a restoration effort was returned from the stripper, there might remain less than that hoped for.  Or at least paid for!    :'(

Scott.
I am fortunate to have a friend who gave me some insight on this car since he looked at it in person and passed on it 4 years ago. I was going to congratulate the runner up on this car but do not have a flagged post yet so wanted to keep my record intact.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

CharlesTurner

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on April 26, 2022, 12:23:59 PM
I am fortunate to have a friend who gave me some insight on this car since he looked at it in person and passed on it 4 years ago. I was going to congratulate the runner up on this car but do not have a flagged post yet so wanted to keep my record intact.

A bit shocking what it went for, had a friend interested in it as a restoration project.  He was in it for maybe high 90's/low 100's knowing it would be a $100k+ restoration.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: CharlesTurner on April 26, 2022, 12:59:59 PM
Quote from: shelbymann1970 on April 26, 2022, 12:23:59 PM

A bit shocking what it went for, had a friend interested in it as a restoration project.  He was in it for maybe high 90's/low 100's knowing it would be a $100k+ restoration.
Funny in thata  friend who bought the green KR in December sent me today the Hagerty valuation and it pegged a #4 car at 102K so I think the bidders were dyslexic at 201K.  I said it should go for around a 100K but wouldn't be surprised if it went for more(100-120K) but NOT THAT MUCH more. What do I know. I'm not an expert.
It brought to my attention the buyer has a lot of "flagged" comments and he only has 21 comments. LOL. He has bought a lot of vehicles in the last month or so. A friend thinks the guy is in Ontario.  Read his comments. https://bringatrailer.com/member/shaun_platinum/
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

I always like these "outside the box" sales.

Everyone focuses on them, while the ignore the cars that were sold on the low end of the spectrum. Retail prices are an average. I personally dont trust insurance companies to put valuations on cars.

I pretty confident in saying that this buyer doesnt understand the thousands of dollars of parts the car is missing. He may not even care.

He doesn't have to conform to my personal perspective. Hope he enjoys it.

CharlesTurner

+1 Pete... not everything has to be compared to the gold (concours) standard.  I suspect the car will be enjoyed just like it is. 

With some patience, the buyer likely could have found a much better car at that price point.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Coralsnake on April 26, 2022, 02:07:02 PM
I always like these "outside the box" sales.

Everyone focuses on them, while the ignore the cars that were sold on the low end of the spectrum. Retail prices are an average. I personally dont trust insurance companies to put valuations on cars.

I pretty confident in saying that this buyer doesnt understand the thousands of dollars of parts the car is missing. He may not even care.

He doesn't have to conform to my personal perspective. Hope he enjoys it.
I've have a few friends who from time to time want me to make predictions like on this white car. I always end with I can't predict bidders and how they will react. When I was serious on bidding on a 70 Q-code black 4 speed drag pack FB that was local and I knew the seller I went and looked at the car(funny in that I ended up with 3 friends tagging along). I told the seller what I would bid on it near the end of the auction. Car sold for 20K more. Met the buyer on 428CJ forum. Guy works out of the country in Europe. Knew ZERO about the car. Was going to have it shipped to 1 of 2 states(friends)  and asked me about restoration shops and he didn't care what the cost would be. Had no clue what it was worth and didn't care. He just thought the car was COOL and had to have it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI