News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Virage Auto 4/66 - Belgium Mag - GT350 Carryover, Cobra, GT40 MK II in Belgien

Started by Szabo, April 27, 2022, 05:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Szabo

Hello,

after a while i found this "New to me" Car Mag seen on Ebay French ...

i found the Cover really nice and hoped for more Pics inside, i bet a lot of money for it and
when it come from French i was a little bit dissapointed ...

Only 3 Pics from a Shelby GT350 ...

But i found out more and more of the Mag, a little bit of the Story and want to share with you,
to hope found found something new for you and more Information for me...

A Win-Win Situation

First of all, the Mag is written in French, BUT it is a BELGIUM Mag (French is one of 3 official language in Belgium)
the Cover Shoot looks really nice to me

inside it have not only the GT350 Story, also there is a CS Biography and a Cobra / GT40 Test
here a quick overview

and now the interesting Part, the riddles and the fun begins ...

Normally in other Euro Car Mag i have, the importeur (Intersport, Performance Cars LTD) shows a advertisment,
i hope to found something else in this Mag...
Was i found was a 66 GT350 Advertisment, but no Importeur or Ford Belgium was written to contact ...

the "Street Test" Shows only ONE Pic from the GT350 backside ...
a lot of unkown things apear ...

i see the round little reflectors about the back lights but the Stickers are totally unkown for me ...
(Exepct the round Cobra Sticker), also the License Plate is unkown to me

What i see it is a Carryover Car and from the Cover it has Cragars mounted...

The GT350 Story ends here ...
Luckywise there is a text about Shelby Cars over all and we see the Cobra 427 Streetcar
what we see is a "photomontage" of a GT350 Competition reflected on the GT350's door.

please noted the on the side of the Cobra is also showed the same, unkown sticker
as in the rear of the GT350

The Best Site is in colour and shows the GT350 driven hard, the Cobra on Full Speed and the GT40 #97 rolling
Wonderfull Pics in motion...

on the GT350 we can see the Rear Site in Colour that shows us the sticker a little bit more
but not good enough to identify for me.

the Cobra 427 wears english license Plate (like i see it on PR Cars from F.A.V like the GT40 street cars)

and the GT40

So, what do you think, what do you know or even suggested...
Can you identify the cars by here Vin ?

Share your thoughts with me

At the End i am happy to buyed and have fun together with you

Greets from Germany

Stephan

honker

Stephan, more interesting material ! I believe your last photo of the #97 Mk.11, is P/1012, driven by Gurney/Grant, looks like

Gurney in car, at Daytona 24. '66, finished second.

Mike

Cobra Ned

The red 427 Cobra pictured was CSX 3150, a narrow-hip street car sold through F.A.V. that went to the Brussels auto show in the spring of '66.

TA Coupe

I believe that the dacal/sticker on the left rear is the same as one of my Cobra ones in the following picture:

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

Richstang

We can also see a Competition GT350 "R Model" in the magazine.
It appears to have '65 side stripes and just might be 5r209 which was on display in January at the Brussels Motor Show.
There is a slim chance it could be 5r097 or 5r107 also over in Europe at the time.

Awesome to get an ID on the narrow hip Cobra!
Thanks Cobra Ned!

Yes, the MKII GT40 is P/1012 during practice at Daytona...for the 24 hour race in February 1966.

The street GT350 is still undecided for an ID.
I believe there were at least two carryovers in Europe at the time.
-January 1966 Brussels Motor Show
-February ?  for this (Belgium) road test, April magazine issue
         (Stephan mentioned it was done at Ford's European Proving Grounds (LPG). The internet notes is was in Belgium.
-April Tulip Rally (France) no2 - 10th overall

It seems likely the Motor Show and the Road Test GT350 are the same car, while the Rally GT350 might be another carryover.
The Rally car does NOT show a GT350 emblem on the rear panel, while the road test car does.
I believe the Motor Show car shows a hint of the rear panel emblem in one of the photos at that event.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

chris NOS

Szabo

Thanks all for your answers ...

i also did research and found some more Backround Infos and have some thoughts ...

@Cobra Ned
- thanks for that answer, that comes quickly

i have the Cover from a french magazine from June 1966, who also feature the Cobra

For the GT350:

i also assumed (together with Richstang) that i could possible that the Street GT350 from the Brussels Motor Show
could be the same as in the Mag, i agree to see a GT350 Badge on the rear view Pic

For the Car in the Mag i read in the Article that is has a Borg Warner T10 4 Speed Transmission

here a Pic from the Motor Show, side view ...

and a PR Folder that was given at the Motor Show from Ford Belgium

and for the Aera where the Test was:

it was at LOMMEL, Belgium, new opend in 1965 and one of the largest Proving Test Grounds, used from Ford Belgium,
is has a lot of Wood around and a lot of Space for testing, still exist today

More Thoughts looking for answers...

How Many Carryovers was given to FAV or known to specific country (Swiss, Belgium, France, Italy?) ???