Author Topic: Shelby Guru Question - NACA Duct Hoods  (Read 3166 times)

Benny

• View Profile
Shelby Guru Question - NACA Duct Hoods
« on: April 29, 2022, 07:53:38 PM »
G'day fellas, I understand this question may have been discussed a thousand times but here we go. The cause of the bow in the NACA hoods, is it from poor quality with production, wrong jig, bad fibre glass or pressure from the hood springs pushing forward onto the hood pins causing the hood to bow or is it heat from the engine bay etc etc etc or does all the above apply? I'd like to know & there may not be one answer, your knowledge & information will be appreciated, thank you.
6S1507

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Shelby Guru Question - NACA Duct Hoods
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 08:05:29 PM »
G'day fellas, I understand this question may have been discussed a thousand times but here we go. The cause of the bow in the NACA hoods, is it from poor quality with production, wrong jig, bad fibre glass or pressure from the hood springs pushing forward onto the hood pins causing the hood to bow or is it heat from the engine bay etc etc etc or does all the above apply? I'd like to know & there may not be one answer, your knowledge & information will be appreciated, thank you.
I can sense your frustration. Any one of those things or a combination could be the cause of the bow but probably not all on the same hood. There are things that you can do to strengthen the hood but that requires surgery to the structure. There are a number of things you can do to address the symptoms . Some hoods never have a problem. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mongo

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 08:10:49 PM »
Also ad to all those causes the color (dark colors) of the car in the hot sun with a 428 running hot in traffic vs a white 351 car!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 08:59:09 PM »
Hi there, 
cause of the bow is engine and ambient heat + 50 plus years + factory stock springs on the hinges.

When we painted both our 1969s the craftsmen that worked on our cars used a tried and true method to some what correct the issue.

Each hood sat outside for months in the Florida sun. Cement blocks  where carefully placed on the bends. Over a period of time this eased the bend. Once it was some what acceptable, it was prepped and painted.  We purchased lighter hood springs that are adequate in holding the hood up.

Good luck
Not a Guru - just a regular guy
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 11:10:19 PM »
Why does this matter? It’s just the way it is, the cars are 53 years, let it go.
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

Benny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 11:58:15 PM »
I can sense your frustration. Any one of those things or a combination could be the cause of the bow but probably not all on the same hood. There are things that you can do to strengthen the hood but that requires surgery to the structure. There are a number of things you can do to address the symptoms . Some hoods never have a problem.

Thanks Bob, your experience & wealth of knowledge is greatly appreciated. Its good to hear there may have been a numbering of contributing factors to why some hoods may have bowed whilst others didn't, cheers.
6S1507

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 06:50:02 AM »
Recently bought a 70 shelby out of Alaska and it had very little hood bow but the guy only drove it in the winter at night ALL NIGHT no hot sun problems there!!!!!!!

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 07:15:25 AM »
My vert spent it's normal life in France and Belgium before I coddled it in 1985. No bow here without springs. I recommend no springs on a 68-70. You can install light tension "Branda" springs by hand for shows or use a prop rod or I think Mr Gains used a chain method before on the hinges. My friend's Gt500 red car has one of the worst bowed hoods I have seen to date and my GT350 red has one of the best. It spent many years in Texas.
Bow? What Bow(pic below).... Seriously I was going to take my friend's hood and do what Tony said he did in his post with weights. Then if that didn't work make cuts on the inner hood with weights but I would also cut out a template to see the progress if any without mounting the hood back on the car. Good luck
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 08:07:43 AM »
My vert spent it's normal life in France and Belgium before I coddled it in 1985. No bow here without springs. I recommend no springs on a 68-70. You can install light tension "Branda" springs by hand for shows or use a prop rod or I think Mr Gains used a chain method before on the hinges. My friend's Gt500 red car has one of the worst bowed hoods I have seen to date and my GT350 red has one of the best. It spent many years in Texas.
Bow? What Bow(pic below).... Seriously I was going to take my friend's hood and do what Tony said he did in his post with weights. Then if that didn't work make cuts on the inner hood with weights but I would also cut out a template to see the progress if any without mounting the hood back on the car. Good luck

Oui, oui the weights over a period if time,  tames the hump

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 08:08:06 AM »
Why does this matter? It’s just the way it is, the cars are 53 years, let it go.
+ 1

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 08:10:49 AM »
Recently bought a 70 shelby out of Alaska and it had very little hood bow but the guy only drove it in the winter at night ALL NIGHT no hot sun problems there!!!!!!!

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie you know that :

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof....

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

Cobrask8

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 08:16:47 AM »
On my 68, the fiberglass hood bowed with the stock springs trying to close it. I removed the springs and drilled holes in t the hinges that aligns in the open position. I used hood pins on lanyards to lock the hinges when open.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2022, 09:19:42 AM »
On my 68, the fiberglass hood bowed with the stock springs trying to close it. I removed the springs and drilled holes in t the hinges that aligns in the open position. I used hood pins on lanyards to lock the hinges when open.
On my 68 I used a prop rod to keep it open. Then hand installed the light tension springs. I could also remove them by hand. Did it more than a few times at car shows. Hood was definitely "different" with the light tension springs VS no springs. I sold the car 6 months after buying "some red Mach1". Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2022, 09:46:51 AM »
Putting weight on the hood in the hot sun or otherwise so to push it back into shape is not typically a long term solution. It will most likely bow again under the same heated conditions.The only sure fire permanent solution I am aware of is to notch and add small sections to the inner structure so as to add tension and compensate for the flex/bow.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2022, 09:47:52 AM »
Believe these are the ones we purchased

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy