Author Topic: Vehicle Title  (Read 3099 times)

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
Re: Vehicle Title
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2022, 01:19:37 PM »
The key is having the car inspected by someone knowledgeable with Shelbys. When I bought my 66 in 1987 it was titled with the SAI VIN but as a Ford. Went down to a local WA State Patrol office armed with my Registry and asked to have it reinspected and title changed. Got an inspector very knowledgeable with these cars and it was no problem, the title make is now listed as "SHLBY". In WA I have also seen the make listed as "SHELCO".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 04:09:01 PM by s2ms »
Dave - 6S1757

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2022, 02:34:58 PM »
Something not mentioned is that some states use the title information for personal property tax assessment purposes. I know many over the years who live in states like mine where we have to pay personal property tax that have set aside their ego to save $ on tax's and list their classic Shelby as a Mustang and with the Ford VIN . Given that only one Ford VIN will go with a specific Shelby number the car is not diminished regardless of how it is listed on the title.  I know the assessed value of a 65 Mustang is assessed at 50.00 a year in my area I would hate to speculate on what a 65 GT350 and its market value in the 350-550K range would be assessed at per year. I know of some Cobra owners that have the make listed simply as Ford with the short CSX vin for the same reasons.   I know for a fact my county assessor office uses at least one of the different guide books like Hagerty or NADA . Easy for a novice to catch high value collector cars with names like Shelby, Pantera etc. so to get red flagged. I am sure that other offices that are in charge of collecting personal property tax's on cars do the same thing. Of course this doesn't matter much in states that don't collect taxes on personal property but I also am aware of people who search state data bases for particular vin's  like 65/66 Shelby vins that are unique looking compared with the Ford vin so as to cold call owners in search of cars for sale. Just a few things to be aware of regardless of it it effects you directly or not. It is prudent IMO to understand someone else's perspective that may have different issues then you. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2022, 02:51:19 PM »
  I don't know.  Put me on the "We The People" list will you.

The Shelby American VIN IS the vin.  I have never seen or heard of (until today) the Ford vin being acceptable.  And, if the elderly or undertrained State employee doesn't understand that, then that is the time you ask them to go check with their supervisor for a little clarification.
  Same thing with the numbers of digits in the vin, they don't know?  Please ask your supervisor for guidance.
  If that that does not get you satisfaction, collect the paperwork you brought in and go to another office.
  And, I too want to see the list of States where that (accepting the Ford vin) is acceptable.
  What does the title say it is?

+1 and many more.
Since when does any DMV, pull a tag off and take the number under it? Something is not right with that. I have had the DMV in NY change my car from a SHELBY to a FORD and visversa to where, when we moved to Tennessee I had it changed back, easy, they look in their manual and see what I am telling them is true and DONE! As far as States taxing value and all that other jazz, no wonder why at some car shows you see delapitated cars, that makes them cheaper to register. Believe me Hemmings value guide is NOT your friend.

On a lighter note, my one Shelby says, "SHELB" the other car says "SHLB" on their titles...LOL.....
RARE  Signature Delete

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2022, 03:19:28 PM »
Shelby American was the manufacturer of origin and had a manufacturer number.  When I registered my 66 i Hawaii it had that manufacturer code. Since the Ford vin is not visible it made sense and there was no hassle.  I do not recall the Federal manufacturer code number but that should be the reference to use.   8)

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2022, 03:29:36 PM »
Shelby American was the manufacturer of origin and had a manufacturer number.  When I registered my 66 i Hawaii it had that manufacturer code. Since the Ford vin is not visible it made sense and there was no hassle.  I do not recall the Federal manufacturer code number but that should be the reference to use.   8)

+1
Exactly, the DMV has a good, they look up that code which tells them everything they need to know.
RARE  Signature Delete