News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

67 Shelby GT500 engine block parts?

Started by Kyle, May 01, 2022, 05:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

Hi all,

I am looking for the engineering numbers for early vs late 67 Shelby GT500's.

I need to know the Engineering numbers for these parts.(For a Special Police Interceptor engine.)

:Camshaft
:Crankshaft
:Crankshaft main bearings caps
:Pistons
:Connecting rods
:Connecting rods caps
:Oil pan

Any information please?

Thanks Kyle.

Kyle

Does anyone have know how they were from factory
the engineering numbers for these parts please?

Shelbypat

First, rod cap is always part of the rod. Main cap is always part of the engine block so no part number for caps.
Second, keep in mind your engine short block has been replaced at Shelby American when your car was brand new from 390 to 428 PI. So block ingenering number would be C6ME or C6ME-A. For late I would say C7ME or C7ME-A.
IMHO

Patrick

JD

Quote from: Shelbypat on May 07, 2022, 09:35:26 PM
First, rod cap is always part of the rod. Main cap is always part of the engine block so no part number for caps.
Second, keep in mind your engine short block has been replaced at Shelby American when your car was brand new from 390 to 428 PI. So block ingenering number would be C6ME or C6ME-A. For late I would say C7ME or C7ME-A.
IMHO

Patrick

Are you saying the short block on a 1967 Shelby GT500 was delivered to Shelby at the airport facility with a 390 and Shelby workers changed it out to a 428???

If that is in fact what you mean - that is not the case.

The 428 engine was installed complete, once, by Ford workers at the San Jose (Milpitas) factory.  Shelby workers did not change engines (on standard production cars in 1967, although there were a couple that were changed for customers or testing/prototyping)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelbypat on May 07, 2022, 09:35:26 PM
IMHO

Patrick
FYI Patrick the engine was not replaced. Never a 390 in it. The 67 GT500 car started life with a 428 engine that was installed at Ford SJ plant . SA did not install the engines.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

This myth that has been around for decade or at least one of many versions. Another version of it was that 65 Shelby's were built with 6 cylinders (since they were supposedly were in short supply) and the engines were later sent to Shelby where they were installed ::)  Not true either

Stories/myths told enough times by enough people are difficult to kill completely
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Kyle

Thanks for all the information. Early 67 Shelby's had a 427 camshaft?

shelbydoug

Quote from: Kyle on May 08, 2022, 03:17:02 AM
Thanks for all the information. Early 67 Shelby's had a 427 camshaft?

No. C60Z-B. A hydraulic PI (Police Interceptor). All 427 cams are solid lifters until the W engine in 1968.

The engine blocks are "A" scratch on the back.

There are no engineering numbers on the main caps. They were matched to the block. If you switch them, you will need to line bore the caps to the block.

This is my block. Don't get all huffy about the connecting rods not being original. They are not. Those are Eagle H beam rods.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Shelbypat

Tks for clarification. I've been into the myth for decades.

Patrick

Kyle

Thanks for that information shelbydoug !