Author Topic: KR shocks  (Read 1582 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
KR shocks
« on: May 05, 2022, 08:01:12 AM »
Can anyone recommend a set of shocks for a 68 KR that look somewhat original and are good for a car that will be frequently driven? It's time to remove the Koni's I installed 40+ years ago.

In addition, I think the front shocks get painted Ford Corporate Blue and the rears are supposed to be semi-gloss black with an orange paint marking for identification. The orange is on the build sheets I have for my car (#04412) Any detailing photos of the front and rear shocks would be great.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp   

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: KR shocks
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 09:11:01 AM »
originals for reference

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 10:22:41 AM »
KR   4 speed and early 69 gt500 4 speed rears (before the white shocks) are non adjustable c8zf black shocks same as mustang cj 4 speeds.  These rear 4 speed staggered shock shocks were longer than the automatic rear shocks. Rear shocks on all staggered shock competition suspension cars are longer than automatic rear shocks even thou they look same design they have a different letter on end of  ford engineering number. Example the rear white late 69 shelby gt500 shocks were  4 speed c9zx-b. vs automatic c9zx-c  and  competition suspension  cj mustang and boss cars all have different shock numbers depending on the year of the car.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 09:46:43 AM »
Thanks for the info! What is the diameter and thickness of the disc below the top bushing? Might punch out some two piece discs to replicate the front shocks. Looks like there are also holes in the disc. What is the size and location. Would anyone be interested in the discs if I decide to have them made?

NPD advertises Gabriel Shock that best replicate the original Autolites. It appears that they are noted as shorter than original fo the rears. I guess that is what Special Ed is referencing. Is there a correct shock to use for the fronts and rears?

If someone is already making the discs for the front shocks, I would rather not reinvent the wheel and will purchase a set.

Thanks you.

Don
gt350bp

68blk500c

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 12:14:19 PM »
I don't know how you are going to get the disc attached to the shaft of an assembled shock, but here goes:

the disc is slightly cupped; diameter of the installed cupped disc is 1 5/8";
the disc thickness is approximately 1/16";
the 4 holes in the disc are 1/4" diameter, oriented at 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock.
each disc has a tiny nick, or notch, in a tiny dent on the edge.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 02:17:01 PM »
My thought was to make them in two pieces and weld from the underside with shock extended?

Don
gt350bp

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 05:03:40 PM »
The rear shocks for the rear KR have a straight tube. They are easier to replicate.

There is currently no shock that I am aware of that has the same shape as the front shocks. Old school (obsolete) red riders or striders are the closest thing.

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 06:07:27 PM »
Checked the Gabriel website and found a Classic shock that is 17.67 (extended) length and 10.56 (compressed) length rear shock for a Mustang. Would that be appropriate for a staggered shock KR. They also look like a straight tube. Checking the site for an appropriate front shock that might be able to add the discs to look like an original Autolite.

Don
gt350bp

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 06:08:59 PM »
If you find and choose to use older versions of the striders be aware that there are about four different versions where the body shape and things like the adjusting washer were different from original 66-69 versions

Just for others reading this thread on applications that used the adjustable rear shocks the outer upper tube is not straight like the non-adjustables.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 06:14:20 PM »
Checked the Gabriel website and found a Classic shock that is 17.67 (extended) length and 10.56 (compressed) length rear shock for a Mustang. Would that be appropriate for a staggered shock KR. They also look like a straight tube. Checking the site for an appropriate front shock that might be able to add the discs to look like an original Autolite.

If your referring to the 81270 on this page https://gabriel.com/product-search/light-vehicle-detailed-specs/?partnum=81270

It appears that it as the outer upper tube attached to the top bell with spot welds like originals. Of course you would have to refinish/paint them and they would lack the factory markings. One last thing to check would be the type of thread used at the top and bottom. Either course or fine to check that detail. for the Autolite non-adjustable rear shocks the type of thread would suggest where the shock was produced (US or Canada) which IMHO relates to which Ford plant the car was built at 

And of course the mounting hardware will possibly be different than original out of the box
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 06:16:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 07:57:12 PM »
Looks like the Gabriel Classic shocks are made in straight and bulged tubes. The straight tube looks similar to the original pictured. Need to verify length for a KR with staggered shocks and the tube diameters. Might be a close replacement for a car that will be driven?

Don
gt350bp

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 08:00:53 AM »
The staggered rear shocks 4 speed type are only about 1/2'' longer and they are hard to tell the difference once installed so most mustang replacements shocks should work unless u are going the concours route.  Also most shocks u find now are fine thread of which is correct unless car is 69 or later when ford went to coarce thread. Most shocks u find nowdays  wont have correct bushings and washers and  nuts  and are the newer gas filled type not oil like the original type.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:06:49 AM by Special Ed »

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 10:44:22 AM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for the input on the KR shocks. I think I'm going with the Gabriel shocks that NPD recommends. They have a rear shock that is longer and HD so I will use those and the recommended fronts. They are out of the rear AMK installation hardware at this time, so that will have to wait. The shocks have fine threads, so I'm not sure if that is appropriate for a late 68 KR? (July 26 th build) Anyone have any experience with the Gabriel shocks and how well they work?

Don
gt350bp