Author Topic: Gas pedal retaining clip  (Read 940 times)

6s1640

• View Profile
Gas pedal retaining clip
« on: May 14, 2022, 03:55:22 AM »
Hi all,

I was looking up the thread size on the screw for the gas pedal (1/4 -28) to clean up the threads with the correct die.  On the AMK site they show a retainer along with the screw.  I had not seen before.  What is the purpose of this retainer once the pedal is installed and the screw tighten to the linkage bell crank?  I can see a purpose if the screw is loose attached to the pedal and the retainer to secure to pedal, but once it is installed what is the purpose?

Thanks

Cory

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 03:57:14 AM by 6s1640 »

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gas pedal retaining clip
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 08:40:54 AM »
Maybe it is used if the screw will not tighten because the bell crank threads stripped.

Greek
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 09:15:25 PM »
Okay,  I figure it out.  The clip will only fit on the narrow non-threaded end of the gas pedal screw.  I had the answer that I was after and didn't even know it.  I was going through a four speed linkage container, I saw a complete gas pedal and bell crank assembly that I must have stored away years ago.  Low and behold, to my surprise, there was the clip.  Amazing.  My guess now is the clip is a safety feature to keep the screw from backing out and the gas pedal becoming loose or falling off.  It might be considered redundant and or not necessary, but this is an example of "belt and suspenders".   What do you think?

I bet most cars are missing this clip and the owners don't even know it.

Take care

Cory

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:45:06 PM by 6s1640 »

greekz

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 09:32:24 PM »
Okay,  I figure it out.  The clip will only fit on the narrow non-threaded end of the gas pedal screw.  I had the answer that I was after and didn't even know it.  I was going through a four speed linkage container, I saw a complete gas pedal and bell crank assembly that I must have stored away years ago.  Low and behold, to my surprise, there was the clip.  Amazing.  My guess now is the clip is a safety feature to keep the screw from backing out and the gas pedal becoming loose or falling off.  It might be considered redundant and or not necessary, but this is an example of "belt and suspenders".   What do you think?

I bet most cars are missing this clip and the owners don't even know it.

Take care

Cory

Wow. I learn something every day.  Must admit I have never run across one in all my years of working on these cars.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

6s1640

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 09:56:26 PM »
Hi Greekz,

Me too.  I am always learning something new with these cars.  If anyone cares, AMK shows part number for the clip as (LRO) 45038-S2.  A package of 10 is part number is B-10600.

Best of luck

Cory