Author Topic: Interesting Photo Of 0100  (Read 2645 times)

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Interesting Photo Of 0100
« on: May 19, 2022, 01:00:32 PM »
In my never ending quest to research 0100's history, I acquired this photo a couple of nights ago.  The photo was taken by Bob D'Olivo for Motor Trend magazine on Monday, 12/12/66.  I was definitely surprised to see what appears to be the engine oil filter with an oil pressure line attached to it remotely mounted in the driver's side front wheel well!!!

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Photo Of 0100
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 01:11:44 PM »
Interesting picture,  thanks for sharing
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 01:23:23 PM »
Is there still evidence of items having been installed there?

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 01:36:38 PM »
Is there still evidence of items having been installed there?

Hello JD,

I have never looked, and since the car's nose section was replaced with '68 fiberglass by Shelby Automotive, I am not sure what would still be there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 01:38:15 PM by 67411F--0100-ENG. »

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 02:59:25 PM »
In my never ending quest to research 0100's history, I acquired this photo a couple of nights ago.  The photo was taken by Bob D'Olivo for Motor Trend magazine on Monday, 12/12/66.  I was definitely surprised to see what appears to be the engine oil filter with an oil pressure line attached to it remotely mounted in the driver's side front wheel well!!!

I have seen Vacuum Canisters in that time period that look just like that as well.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 03:53:46 PM »
I have seen Vacuum Canisters in that time period that look just like that as well.

First thing I thought of when I saw the location (wheel well) though don't recall any commercially available ones with a double crimped end
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 04:41:03 PM »
My first thought is how odd to mount the remote oil filter bracket sideways. There would not be any changing of filter in that position without a big mess. Another odd thing and signs of initial prototype status and development is apparent brazing of a fitting bung to the filter body so a mechanical gauge pressure line could be attached.  Given it's first status in GT500 production with factory A/C system and the GT500 only engine oil cooler suggests that remote filter status seen in the picture had something to do with that is my guess. The system most likely started out with a similar type of  oil block adapter ,remote filter adapter/bracket and oil line plumbing as the the 427 SC. I am guessing that this setup was seen as the labor and logistic disaster I can envision it looked like in my mind and the the regular production oil filter donut/oil cooler line adapter was quickly developed and added to the stock oil filter block adapter. That and because the donut added to the the stock block adapter made the regular oil filter hang down farther that the already in use Fram short oil filter used on the 427 street Cobras was also employed. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 05:26:21 PM »
My first thought is how odd to mount the remote oil filter bracket sideways. There would not be any changing of filter in that position without a big mess. Another odd thing and signs of initial prototype status and development is apparent brazing of a fitting bung to the filter body so a mechanical gauge pressure line could be attached.  Given it's first status in GT500 production with factory A/C system and the GT500 only engine oil cooler suggests that remote filter status seen in the picture had something to do with that is my guess. The system most likely started out with a similar type of  oil block adapter ,remote filter adapter/bracket and oil line plumbing as the the 427 SC. I am guessing that this setup was seen as the labor and logistic disaster I can envision it looked like in my mind and the the regular production oil filter donut/oil cooler line adapter was quickly developed and added to the stock oil filter block adapter. That and because the donut added to the the stock block adapter made the regular oil filter hang down farther that the already in use Fram short oil filter used on the 427 street Cobras was also employed.

Bob,

Thanks.  Very well explained and that is exactly what I believe the photo indicates took place with 0100.  During the Car and Driver and Road & Track road tests, which I believe took place in November of 1966, it became obvious the car had overheating issues and something needed to be done.  The changes made to 0100 started right after the Car and Driver road test.  The photos that I have show the following progression of changes leading up to the Sports Car Graphic road test whose photos are dated 12/09/66 and the Motor Trend photos which are dated 12/12/66.

1. Car and Driver road test: the car has no radiator support to hood seal and it has its front license plate installed. A high resolution interior photo that I have shows an engine oil temperature gauge mounted just to the right of the standard Shelby under dash gauge pod.
2. Road & Track road test: the front license plate has been removed in order to increase airflow through the lower portion of the radiator; and second, a radiator support to hood seal has been installed to try and keep the airflow from spilling up and over the radiator.
3. Sports Car Graphic road test: the photos show an engine oil cooler has been installed in the upper grille opening on the passenger side (but the engine oil temp gauge has been removed from under the dash). One can see engine oil lines zip tied alongside the driver's side strut rod support. The second change is that light gauge sheet metal or aluminum “ducting” has been added to the driver’s side of the radiator opening to direct air through the radiator.
4. Motor Trend photos: apparently shows the engine oil filter has been remote mounted in the driver's side front wheel well to facilitate the plumbing of the engine oil lines from engine to filter to cooler and back to engine.  This would have been completed prior to 12/09/66 for the Sports Car Graphic road test.

Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 05:40:26 PM by 67411F--0100-ENG. »

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 06:33:24 PM »
     I don't believe that is a spin-on engine oil filter canister, rather I believe it to be a canister made of aluminum, showing aluminum welding for the bung in the end and an aluminum mounting plate attached, this which I'd venture for being maybe the AC receiver/drier on the H.P. side considering its' size, but instead could be the filter/accumulator on the L.P. side but I think it might be to small for this?   :-\

But then, I'm not an AC guy, so what do I know?   ::)

Scott.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 07:50:44 PM »
     I don't believe that is a spin-on engine oil filter canister, rather I believe it to be a canister made of aluminum, showing aluminum welding for the bung in the end and an aluminum mounting plate attached, this which I'd venture for being maybe the AC receiver/drier on the H.P. side considering its' size, but instead could be the filter/accumulator on the L.P. side but I think it might be to small for this?   :-\

But then, I'm not an AC guy, so what do I know?   ::)

Scott.
Scott,the double crimped ends seen in the picture are typical of the spin on Ford filters of the period. I figured the bung was ether soldered or brazed given the thin metal but just a guess given the filter type. There was no reason to move the A/C dryer from the stock location .Same goes for the filter/accumulator on the LP side.  Change to the dryer location would also bring change to the hoses between the dryer and condenser and discharge hose. That would not seem practical for a regular production car. Nether was in the way of the oil filter or cooler lines because the filter and oil hose lines were down low and the AC lines were up high. Given the things that ended up being changed on a air 67 GT500 gives clues to what it probably is. Although probable IMO still just a educated guess on my part.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 08:39:16 PM »
No real reason, that I can think of, to mess with the AC stuff. They had been building big blocks with AC for some time before this car was built and supplied to Shelby. If added to this body they would only need to copy what had already been designed, tested and used on similar applications in the Mustang line

As for being the oil filter guess its way to late to look for mount and oil line pass through holes in the surrounding sheet metal
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67411F--0100-ENG.

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 09:01:58 PM »
I hope to have a better version of this photo soon, but I thought I would post this version now while this discussion is ongoing.  This is another photo that was taken of 0100 on 12/12/66 by Bob D'Olivo for Motor Trend magazine.  Finally, a photo that shows a little more detail of the engine oil cooler which has been installed in the upper grille opening on the passenger side.  I have also attached a cropped down version of the photo that zeros in on the engine oil cooler.  It appears that some light gauge metal ducting has been attached to the top of the grille and goes rearward to the top of the cooler.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 09:28:32 PM by 67411F--0100-ENG. »

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 09:33:42 PM »
I wonder if the bung was to check the oil temp as it came out of the engine - maybe another one at the exit of the cooler? Or..... for a gauge to check pressure drop on the enlarged system?
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 09:36:43 PM »
I hope to have a better version of this photo soon, but I thought I would post this version now while this discussion is ongoing.  This is another photo that was taken of 0100 on 12/12/66 by Bob D'Olivo for Motor Trend magazine. ............

Thanks. Washer bag is mounted high on the inner fender apron. Wonder if this was done to clear an area for the lines to run to what ever it was in the wheel well.

honker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 09:54:29 PM »
This is I believe to be 0100 from the Car & Driver test, just for interest.

Mike