News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Wanted: 289 HiPo heads, Dated June, July, August 1966

Started by roddster, May 27, 2022, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddster

Like it says, if you want to sell them, PM me.  I will pick them up at SAAC 47 -Indy.
Bare, used, just not cracked or otherwise useless.  Thanks, Rod T

roddster

Thanks but I read the ad and the seller does not want to deal with any shipping issues.  It would have been nice to put my hands on them at SAAC 47.  Not to worry.  I'm still looking and still have the car.

Royce Peterson

1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Harris Speedster

Head repair,
An external bolt hole is a pretty easy fix for a machine shop.
Many shops weld and repair cast iron daily.
This head could be bolted onto a block and welded, keeps any warping to almost zero
There are other alternative repair methods also.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

pbf777

I agree that 'most likely' this bolt hole boss could be repaired; and the proper process would be via cast iron welding. 

But never use the word "easy" when the process of welding involves cast iron, as at times one encounters difficulties with the parent material being awfully dirty, this even often being the reason for the failure in the first place (though perhaps not here  :-\ ), and even with experience and good technique this material can just refuse to cooperate.   :o

In this repair requirement presented, bolting the head to an alignment fixture, which is often good practice, I would not would deem required here; this as the sum of material and surface area and therefore critical heat levels to the overall casting is not relatively great and considering its' proximity in relation to the whole of the casting excessive shrinkage draw should prove minimal.  But more material and a greater involvement may be required to resist heat-effected zone cracking so things might change!

But do be aware that excessive heating of any complex fixture with inherent stresses will cause movement, whether they be due to newly created stress loads or relaxation of previously imparted and that all critical machined surfaces will require (well, at least advised!  ::) ) re-working post a welding operation.   :)

Scott.

roddster

Bump.  It's been a while.  Spare me the "needs work" type heads, eh.