News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Repair or replace? Value impact opinions

Started by hurlbird, June 01, 2022, 09:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlbird

Other than my trunk lid, all of my fiberglass needs work. A crack here, chip there. If i consider repairs, stripping and prep for paint, i can't imagine any one panel being a quick cheap fix. I see reproduction fiber glass out there. A. is it as bad as most metal reproduction panels? B. if not and its quality am i better off with repaired originals or perfect reproductions from a value perspective? Thanks for the feedback.

J_Speegle

Originals get repaired unless they aren't there.

IMHO collecting and enjoying these particular cars isn't about the budget or the cheapest way to do things. Your not going to want to sell the car for the cheapest offer when you or someone else sells it.

Just one opinion and view point
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Bill

Quote from: hurlbird on June 01, 2022, 09:35:41 PM
Other than my trunk lid, all of my fiberglass needs work. A crack here, chip there. If i consider repairs, stripping and prep for paint, i can't imagine any one panel being a quick cheap fix. I see reproduction fiber glass out there. A. is it as bad as most metal reproduction panels? B. if not and its quality am i better off with repaired originals or perfect reproductions from a value perspective? Thanks for the feedback.

Personally, I prefer to repair than to replace whenever possible. Today's reproduction pieces still need work to get them to fit properly. So then the question is, spend the money on the reproduction piece, then spend money getting it to fit properly, or do you spend the time and money on the original pieces that came from the factory? Your car, your hard earned funds, your choice in this case.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

Barring catastrophic damage original always trumps repop IMHO..The car has history.Shouldn't the panels?

TJinSA

Concur, original 1st, massive replacement draws question into how bad the metal was as well
Tom Kubler
6S296

TOBKOB

My '69 has nearly all original parts so I chose to restore them vs replacement. Even though I had bought NOS parts years ago I learned that there are differences from assembly line parts and most still reside on the shelf. I concur with all the others to repair the original panels. I think you will be glad you did.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

JD

Repair originals! 

I've been down this path on a couple parts - just put the cost and shipping of the repro parts into fixing the originals, saves time and $$$.

Also, then you can proudly say it still has all it's original fiberglass. (which certainly adds value as well.)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67 GT350

Quote from: 557 on June 01, 2022, 10:00:16 PM
Barring catastrophic damage original always trumps repop IMHO..The car has history.Shouldn't the panels?

I agree!! Trump, Make those parts GREAT AGAIN!

A good friend, orders stuff like wheel cylinders, master cylinders, etc...stuff that can be rebuilt from Rock Auto.....My other friend rebuilds everything he can, I like that idea...

On the body, it is getting very hard to find anyone (if you cannot do it) that will take the time to "restore" original parts. I only know one guy and he is in Upstate New York. I am sure there are others in this country. Would it be great is there was a list State to State with places that would do just that, not a post but a list.
RARE  Signature Delete

greekz

Use as much of the original parts you can, you will be happier in the long run.  When I recently did 6S1134, I went in this order; reconditioned original, NOS Ford, reproduction last.
SFM 6S1134  '67 GT-350 #2339

FL SAAC

Repair always

Replace if you have no other choice
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

roddster

Can't brag about parts being original unless they really are.  Folks see right through the BS.

hurlbird

Thanks all. it is where my head was at too.