News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

'65 Export brace

Started by Mike_Senar, June 06, 2022, 09:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Senar

Hello,
I could not find any info on this part with the search bar...  Maybe never discussed before on this site??     How does one tell the real deal from a made up/repro one?   Equal spaced bolt holes type (in case someone was confused about what I am asking about).
                                                                                   Mike

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Mike_Senar on June 06, 2022, 09:31:23 AM
Hello,
I could not find any info on this part with the search bar...  Maybe never discussed before on this site??     How does one tell the real deal from a made up/repro one?   Equal spaced bolt holes type (in case someone was confused about what I am asking about).
                                                                                   Mike
First off there have only been a few repro mfg's of equal spaced styles made over the years compared to the dozens and dozen of un equal spaced versions that will fit 65-70 regular Mustang, 67-70  Shelby and Cougar. But typically it is the thickness of the metal and the way the metal is rolled on the edges is the Flaw of the repro. The original type is heavier because the metal is thicker. The steel on the genuine is rolled at more of a 90 degree angle to the edge where as the repro's are not rolled as sharp of a angle on the edge. There have been repro's that mimic that genuine look .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mike_Senar

O.K.,
  Is there a thickness measurement I can have to compare?   I just picked one up this weekend with a load of parts and after doing some inquiring I came to realize there was some repro ones made a lot of years ago.   I did not know this until I received the part and checked.       So, if there is a thickness difference between the two to tell them apart,  I would like to know what the real ones measure (if that is possible to know).   This one looks really spot on to me!
                                                                                     Mike

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Mike_Senar on June 06, 2022, 11:11:41 AM
O.K.,
  Is there a thickness measurement I can have to compare?   I just picked one up this weekend with a load of parts and after doing some inquiring I came to realize there was some repro ones made a lot of years ago.   I did not know this until I received the part and checked.       So, if there is a thickness difference between the two to tell them apart,  I would like to know what the real ones measure (if that is possible to know).   This one looks really spot on to me!
                                                                                     Mike
The batteries are dead in my digital calipers so someone else will have to get you the measurements. I have seen enough of them that I can tell by sight first hand but have been fooled by pictures which can be deceiving because of optical effects.The contour of the metal is more obvious then the thickness anyway. For example I have not come across any of the hundreds that I have seen over the years that where stamped right that had thinner metal .One thing I forgot to mention is that the un even spaced export braces are so hard to find that some have taken genuine even spaced export braces that as mentioned have correct stamping and metal thickness which are the same except for the bolt pattern and weld up the hole pattern and redrill the 65/66 GT350 bolt hole pattern in to them . The repair work can typically be seen if the paint is stripped off . The fact that your brace is the un even 65/66 bolt pattern makes it more likely to be genuine then not without considering the tells.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mike_Senar

Bob,
  If you P.M. me with your e-mail address I can send you pictures of what ever part you think you will need to see to confirm.   Can measure also...
                                                                              Mike

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Mike_Senar on June 06, 2022, 02:51:58 PM
Bob,
  If you P.M. me with your e-mail address I can send you pictures of what ever part you think you will need to see to confirm.   Can measure also...
                                                                              Mike
Done.

tgilliam

Were the original 1965 and 1966 Shelby braces the same or was there a difference between to two years?

Tom Gilliam
tom@jtgil.com

OldGuy

O.K.,
                                                                                     Mike

Mike, I measured the thickness of my KNOWN original '66 Export Brace (equally spaced pattern) and it is 0.130 inches. I suppose that there could be a little paint thickness involved but, when measured in four different locations, was consistent 0.130 inches.

As to whether or not the '66 is different than the '65, I don't know. (Bob will I'm sure)

I hope this helps.

Frank

thefordshow

As Bob points out, the stamping of the originals is crisp.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: OldGuy on June 06, 2022, 07:56:37 PM
O.K.,
                                                                                     Mike

Mike, I measured the thickness of my KNOWN original '66 Export Brace (equally spaced pattern) and it is 0.130 inches. I suppose that there could be a little paint thickness involved but, when measured in four different locations, was consistent 0.130 inches.

As to whether or not the '66 is different than the '65, I don't know. (Bob will I'm sure)

I hope this helps.

Frank
Thanks for the assist on pics and measurements gents. It takes a village. 65 and 66 are same same.

GT350Lad

Good pics Guys. Always love the SAAC village
6S373
6S1276