News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

FIV Secura wheel

Started by Jack4159, June 09, 2022, 08:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

This wheel was on my KR when I bought it, I know its not correct but I like it a lot so I'm going to leave it on.
I've read that some of these wheels had an electrical short problem that could lead to a fire, can anyone tell me if that issue applies to my wheel, or if there is a way to tell?
Also, is this wheel meant for a KR or is it a 67 wheel? If it is for a 68 were they sold at Ford/Shelby dealerships or as an after market accessory?
Finally, there's a bit of an unsightly gap between the wheel boss and the column, is their meant to be a "sleeve" or something there to tidy it up?
Thanks in advance as always.

JD

Over-the-counter wheel not stock on a '67 and the gap is typical
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

I found that the plastic cap for a can of peanuts fits the column neck perfectly.

If you hollow out the center of it and paint it black, it will fit the column and close the gap.

It would be better to find a black cover but I'm not sure that they exist BUT I haven't raided my wife's "left over covers" which considering the variety that falls out of the cabinet every time I open it, could be a possibility?

The peanut can cover is clear and you will need to paint it.  ;)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

The peanut can wont work, Jack is in Australia. The lids are the bottom of the cans.

GT350DAVE

There are 2 different versions of the FIV wheel. Each uses a different horn button. The fire issue is with the horn button that is a disc and spring. The other one uses an enclosed horn button assembly, held together with a large spring clip, like the 67 Shelby horn button. That wheel is safe.
Send me a photo of the horn button removed from the wheel to  dmathews@prodigy.net  and I can tell. I may also have a spacer sleeve for the column but need to look.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Jack4159

Quote from: Coralsnake on June 09, 2022, 08:42:28 AM
The peanut can wont work, Jack is in Australia. The lids are the bottom of the cans.
We drive upside down too(like in Men in Black, it's really cool) so it might work.

Jack4159

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 09, 2022, 08:14:53 AM
I found that the plastic cap for a can of peanuts fits the column neck perfectly.

If you hollow out the center of it and paint it black, it will fit the column and close the gap.

It would be better to find a black cover but I'm not sure that they exist BUT I haven't raided my wife's "left over covers" which considering the variety that falls out of the cabinet every time I open it, could be a possibility?

The peanut can cover is clear and you will need to paint it.  ;)
Thanks for the great tip, if I can't get hold of a sleeve fingers crossed our tins are the same size as yours....worst case I get to eat a tin of peanuts.

Jack4159

Quote from: GT350DAVE on June 09, 2022, 08:48:26 AM
There are 2 different versions of the FIV wheel. Each uses a different horn button. The fire issue is with the horn button that is a disc and spring. The other one uses an enclosed horn button assembly, held together with a large spring clip, like the 67 Shelby horn button. That wheel is safe.
Send me a photo of the horn button removed from the wheel to  dmathews@prodigy.net  and I can tell. I may also have a spacer sleeve for the column but need to look.
Dave
Awesome on all counts, I will send a pic through and interested in the spacer of course, thanks Dave.

Jack4159

Posting pic in case anyone down the track has the same question, have also emailed.

GT350DAVE

That is the good horn button. It doesn't have the fire issue.
Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Jack4159

Quote from: GT350DAVE on June 09, 2022, 09:53:47 AM
That is the good horn button. It doesn't have the fire issue.
Dave
Excellent, thanks Dave !!

shelbydoug

Quote from: Jack4159 on June 09, 2022, 09:05:36 AM
We drive upside down too(like in Men in Black, it's really cool) so it might work.

The OD of the '68 tilt column is 3.875". The CAN COVER works there. It is on my car with the '67 wheel.

Coralsnake just objects to using non-original utilitarian items on a Shelby. He probably hates peanuts as well but hard to tell, his hate list is long?  ;)

You need to use PLANTERS PEANUTS with Mr.Peanut on the can.  ;)

The '67 Column is smaller. I is a 3.573" od. That one needs more searching but look at 3.5" "round fence post caps". They are in black and you do not need a lot of imagination to see the possibilities.

I have roll bars in all of my cars for driving upside down so my brain is often out of sync.

It's also amazing what you can create with condoms. They hold air for quite a while and the kids at birthday parties can't pop them!
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

98SVT - was 06GT

The one from the Vegemite may work.....

Vegemite is a thick, dark brown Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives.

and I thought haggis was bad.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless