Author Topic: interior paint  (Read 1369 times)

interior paint
« on: June 09, 2022, 01:57:28 PM »
Need a recommendation for interior paint for a 69 Shelby with black interior.  Looking for the paint for the dash frame, trap door panels, steering column, etc..  Also, what is recommended for the plastic pieces; i.e. radio surround, rear panels, roll bar covers, etc.?  Do I use paint or dye?  Who manufactures/sells these items

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: interior paint
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 03:05:37 PM »
The first thing I would say is many of those parts were supplied by different vendors and they should not all match perfectly.

Hard plastic and fiberglass is painted. Dye is used for soft parts.

The color is dark charcoal metallic and most Mustang vendors sell the paint. It can also be mixed by any competent automotive paint supplier.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 04:22:08 PM »
As Pete mentioned - Remember that the paint/color used in 67-70 "black" interiors was Dark Charcoal Metallic not black. The paint you purchase often does not have allot of solids in the mix so you might consider (I and others do) laying down a nice full but thin coat of black before you lay on the Charcoal. When you do apply a full but thin and somewhat dry coat to add the metallic and gray to the final look., Remember if you put on primer or lay on the paint in a heavy coat it will fill or reduce the grain in the panel, which you don't want or can produce a glossier finish if the top coat is too heavy. Don't want that either

Should mention that panels should be stripped of all the earlier paint so that it looks original and the grain is very visible

This would be for the painted panels while some of the pieces you mentioned were not painted - examples like kick panels or roll bar covers. An item like the radio surround would not be painted but would have a woodgrain sticker for lack of a better word that matched the production period and the other woodgrain in the interior

Have fun
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 07:15:26 PM »
I would add that as JD suggested it would in a previous thread on this subject, the current "original" custom mix for shooting with spray guns is not flat enough to match the production line finish.

I believe that he recommended ADDING around another 25% of flattening agent to the current replacement formula to get it about right? I now agree with that.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 09:37:42 PM »
here is an example of the charcoal metallic paint I used, and yes as the guys stated above - not too glossy, have to add some flattener...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 09:49:37 PM »
I use DBI (ppg). No need for flattener

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 12:48:22 PM »
I use a thin black primer as a base and just enough dark charcoal metallic. I gun spray PPG over the years from their formula for the larger rear parts and lower dash and when doing small parts the  rattle can of dark charcoal metallic. Luckily a media blaster I use has a real nice media in it that can strip the grained plastic parts without damaging them(tested a broken one first). I restored at least 20 small pieces last winter and all came out great. Jeff's Concours Mustang has a page with the different pieces that get painted and such. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)