News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Loss of Dr Simeone last night

Started by gt350shelb, June 12, 2022, 01:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350shelb

Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

S7MS427

Upsetting news to say the least.  A unique individual to say the least.  His belief in preservation gave us a glimpse into how the cars really were rather than mega-over restored caricatures.  Rest in piece Dr.  You will always be remembered for your passion.  Thanks for everything you've done for us.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

Chad

Oh wow that is horrible!  RIP Dr.

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

Wow, this is sad news. Was hoping to talk to him next weekend at the Philadelphia Concours
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Bill

A true automotive gentleman and enthusiast, not may like him in the world these days. May he be turning laps at the LeMans track in the sky with glee.

Our condolences to his family and friends.

Bill
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

deathsled

That's one hell of a collection.  Rest in Peace, Doctor.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Harris Speedster

I think he took up collecting automobiles because his father collected?
Not sure?
He was generous man that shared his knowledge and almost 2nd to none collections.
Maybe he did own the best and rounded collection of  as raced  cars in the world?
Who is in the running guys ?????????????
A truly great man, condolences to his family, may he rest in peace.
John
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Harris Speedster on June 12, 2022, 05:24:25 PM
Maybe he did own the best and rounded collection of  as raced  cars in the world?
Not to detract from his collection or death but they need to tell the true story of the Coupe and it's acquisition. A stock HiPo long block, show quality paint and a Tony Nancy interior is not unrestored.

"This car is the first of just 6 built and is the only one left in original, unrestored condition."
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

shelbydoug

Quote from: S7MS427 on June 12, 2022, 02:49:41 PM
Upsetting news to say the least.  A unique individual to say the least.  His belief in preservation gave us a glimpse into how the cars really were rather than mega-over restored caricatures.  Rest in piece Dr.  You will always be remembered for your passion.  Thanks for everything you've done for us.

+1
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Royce Peterson

I just wish that Cobra coupe was mine!

The museum appears to be well funded due to Dr. Simeone's donations to the foundation that owns it. A great man, he will be remembered fondly.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

sg66

Wow, that's unfortunate but how ironic that he passed during the LeMans race.

I was down there last August when he rolled out his cars that raced at LeMans and had them driven around the back parking lot. It was pretty cool to see his Stutz, Bugatti, Daytona Coupe, GT and others taking a spin.

I spoke with him for a while and asked what his favorite car was, thinking he would say the Daytona Coupe but nope, it was his 1938 Alfa Romeo

R.I.P. Dr.

JD

Quote from: S7MS427 on June 12, 2022, 02:49:41 PM

His passion was shared with us - was truly great to see it in person.

Thanks Dr. Simeone.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FL SAAC

Our deepest condolences go out to the family
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

prototypefan

An uncommonly kind man that left a legacy in the car world.

Arguably a bigger legacy in his medical field of neurosurgery.

Godspeed Fred!

mark p

Quote from: sg66 on June 12, 2022, 09:27:34 PM
Wow, that's unfortunate but how ironic that he passed during the LeMans race...

I was down there last August when he rolled out his cars that raced at LeMans and had them driven around the back parking lot. It was pretty cool to see his Stutz, Bugatti, Daytona Coupe, GT and others taking a spin.

I spoke with him for a while and asked what his favorite car was, thinking he would say the Daytona Coupe but nope, it was his 1938 Alfa Romeo

R.I.P. Dr.

A very sad time, and hard to believe. Godspeed Dr Simeone.

Living close by, I've been a long-time member and frequent visitor to the Museum, Demonstration Days, and special events over the years.
The good Doctor definitely "had a thng" for Alfas.

Dr Simeone always likened  LeMans to the Super Bowl/World Series/World Cup/Indy 500 all rolled into one (or something like that). If he had to go, passing during the Race is probably a fitting time. The Museum Facebook page says, "our friend passed in the midst of his beloved Le Mans, and we know his spirit is now eternally driving along with the legends he considered to be his heroes"
His knowledge of Sports Racing Cars was encyclopedic, he was also a great story teller and "Car Detective" (his words) with success in finding and acquiring the cars in the Collection. His vision and planning for the Foundation/Museum will hopefully allow it to be available for all for many years to come.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird