News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Cross Boss carburetors

Started by deathsled, June 14, 2022, 12:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

I was being questioned on one of my stories (Road Closed) from my Roadscape Horror Channel on YouTube.  More specifically are the Cross Boss Autolite carburetors one carburetor or two inline carburetors strung together on the manifold. I thought they were two, having never see a Cross Boss in real life.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

TA Coupe

The answer is one carburetor. You can go here to learn just about everything there is to know about them:
https://www.inlinecarb.com/index.html

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

crossboss

Here is mine:
Click on pic to enlarge.
Enjoy!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Thank you for the clarification gentlemen!

deathsled

Can I explain away the error as an independent runner inline Autolite system?
http://www.inlinecarb.com/induction-systems.html

But then again probably not because that setup us not a true Cross Boss intake. Will fix the book if I ever publish the story.

How good is the Cross Boss? Is it more effective than a Weber setup for horsepower and reliability?

crossboss

Quote from: deathsled on June 14, 2022, 08:52:00 AM
Can I explain away the error as an independent runner inline Autolite system?
http://www.inlinecarb.com/induction-systems.html

But then again probably not because that setup us not a true Cross Boss intake. Will fix the book if I ever publish the story.

How good is the Cross Boss? Is it more effective than a Weber setup for horsepower and reliability?

Two different animals--The Cross-Boss and Weber modified intakes for 2 Inlines are an IR.
The Cross-Boss has a common plenum, a very large one at that with long intake runners underneath. The modified Weber intakes mounting 2 large 'B' Inlines (required) are an I.R. independent Runner design like conventional Webers.
The Cross-Boss is not a 'bolt on and go' set up. Believe me after using one for street and vintage racing there were many learning curves. I modified mine, along with the Inline carb. Too long to list here...I most likely have more experience than anyone using one for street/racing. One exception is Kelly Coffield @ inlinecarb.com who is a master at rebuilding them.
That said, Inline carbs are very simple in design, and are quite easy to tune...IF you know how.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

crossboss

Btw, this is my latest project:
An Inline (large 'B' carb, 1425 cfm) mounted on a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429).
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Quote from: crossboss on June 14, 2022, 10:33:49 AM
Btw, this is my latest project:
An Inline (large 'B' carb, 1425 cfm) mounted on a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429).
What a work of art both mechanically and aesthetically!

deathsled

Not that I would try this but would the Monte Carlo brace need to be removed with a cross boss set up?  I can hear the groans of purists now. To allay such pain, the Hertz has a 302 roller rocker in it now and the original engine resides in my closet.

crossboss

Quote from: deathsled on June 14, 2022, 11:33:36 AM
Not that I would try this but would the Monte Carlo brace need to be removed with a cross boss set up?  I can hear the groans of purists now. To allay such pain, the Hertz has a 302 roller rocker in it now and the original engine resides in my closet.

The stock factory or aftermarket shock tower to cowl brace, no. The 'export' or Monte Carlo brace will have to go....OR buy a curved one to clear the dist/CB/Inline.
Here is an old pic of my old Boss 302 T/A engine for a reference....
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

deathsled

Quote from: crossboss on June 14, 2022, 03:26:48 PM
Quote from: deathsled on June 14, 2022, 11:33:36 AM

The stock factory or aftermarket shock tower to cowl brace, no. The 'export' or Monte Carlo brace will have to go....OR buy a curved one to clear the dist/CB/Inline.
Here is an old pic of my old Boss 302 T/A engine for a reference....

I should leave well enough alone.  My car runs fine with the Holley 650 double pumper.  Why change a good thing?  I wouldn't have the heart to take off the Monte Carlo brace.  It belongs on the car.  Eventually the original engine should be rebuilt and put back in the car.  If the bore is in need of a re bore, I would be inclined to sleeve it instead.  What a great setup in that picture.  I can look at speed parts all day long and be mesmerized by them.  I always thought there should be a museum of vintage speed parts.  But that is so highly focused , very few if any, would ever show up. 

TA Coupe

deathsled, do you have a crossboss setup?
Here's a few speed parts to look at.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

deathsled

Quote from: TA Coupe on June 14, 2022, 07:15:01 PM
deathsled, do you have a crossboss setup?
Here's a few speed parts to look at.

Roy

In my dreams I have a cross boss setup.  Perhaps a dual quad might be an interesting way to go on the Hertz.  I still find the Webers to be an attractive nuisance to me though I haven't a clue how to set it up or tune them.  So I stick with the single Holley 650 at present. 

deathsled

To engage in some confirmation bias here, I saw that the early cross boss was actually an offset dual quad setup according to this YouTube with supporting photo of the early setup. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD5FQCBfGEo
Therefore, I don't have to amend my story and it can stand as is (I got lucky).  Thankfully I did not mention the Autolite inline carburetor which would have thrown the proverbial monkey wrench back into the equation.  Whew!

crossboss

You are referencing the prototype original Cross-Boss intake with two Holleys. Only a handfull were made. The 1969 Boss cars ran the special sand cast dual Dominators with a unique IR intake devoted to them. An off set distributor was required to clear this set up. Roy's picture of the engine on the stand is one example.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30