Author Topic: Hertz value vs Street Car value  (Read 1376 times)

jgroce1985

• View Profile
Hertz value vs Street Car value
« on: June 21, 2022, 08:58:37 PM »
Okay guys I know a lot of you do not like to put value on cars, but in your opinion if you have a hertz car auto and a street car gt350 4 speed side by side restored the exact same ..Which car do you feel would be more valuable in the long run..Hertz or Street.. let's same 1966 cars

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hertz value vs Street Car value
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 09:20:37 PM »
Apples and oranges - but..... In the past Hertz cars had a stigma of having been born into in the automotive equivalent of the red light district. The automatic was seen as a detriment to value since pulling the lever is what defined a performance car.
Today car collecting has become a pure numbers game. The rarer the car the higher the price. Everyone likes to tout their Marti report that makes their car 1 of 1 even though that change only means their 1 of 1,000 blue car with the 1 of 300 white interior was the only one that came with hubcaps.
In terms of value the collector will value a rarer Hertz car in one of the colors higher than a pedestrian white GT350 with a 4 speed. The person who wants the car to drive and beat on may place more value on a white/blue 4 speed even though there are far more of them.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 09:30:39 PM »
As people that love Shelbys age.....the auto will come into its own value. Medical conditions, and maybe if the hobby does not die, the new generation might just pick the auto over the manual.

"One man's opinion"
RARE  Signature Delete

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:41:54 PM »
As people that love Shelbys age.....the auto will come into its own value. Medical conditions, and maybe if the hobby does not die, the new generation might just pick the auto over the manual.

"One man's opinion"
Logical. Flawlessly logical.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 08:56:19 AM »

"One man's opinion"

No one stops time
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

jgroce1985

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 12:48:47 PM »
I still think eventually they will come down in value a lot...The new generation cares less about having money, having nice things, or classic cars.

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 01:44:26 PM »
I still think eventually they will come down in value a lot...The new generation cares less about having money, having nice things, or classic cars.
Cars have become an appliance. The mere fact that ICE cars require you to maintain them will get them a bum rap with the new generations. 1/2 of them will probably even forget to plug their appliances in so they'll come up a with less effective induction charging to dumb them down even further.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 03:46:23 PM »
IMO:  If people would stop hyping the Hertz cars at auctions as "Rent a Racers" (a term we know that Hertz never used) the price would probably be well below that of a comparable-condition GT350.

As stated by others, these cars started out living a hard life.  Rentals get treated like disposables.  Ham-fisted and performance-ignorant drivers galore.  The average non-Hertz Shelby at least didn't have 100+ different drivers before getting into the hands of their first owner.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 04:00:57 PM »
rental cars....one owner, seven thousand drivers.. just remember the old days and how hard it was to cover up the fact that it was a rental. (removing the "h"). scoops