News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1970 GT500 gauges

Started by tahart, June 27, 2022, 08:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Kiwishelby on June 30, 2022, 04:40:26 AM
Re the fuel gauge, I also have a 70 GT500 and mine stopped working, took the sender unit out and found the problem was in the float which had developed a small fracture, this caused the float to fill up with fuel so being weighted down would read empty, had the original repaired and all is good, hope this helps.
Since for a few years now both my "69" cars the gauge/sending unit system didn't work. Easy way to isolate my problem is that I took a good one and plugged it into the wire and grounded it. Set my float hanging down with the ignition on. went to full. So an issue with both sending units. Bought new repo units. Installed one in my Mach1 last summer. Tested it first off of the Shelby. It works good. The new repo I put in my Mach1 worked when taken out and tested(float issue?). Either way I boxed it up and put it on a shelf. Now a few weeks  I take the one out of my Shelby. Tested it and it worked(float issue(?) and had a plastic float). I put a new repo one in it I bought last summer with a brass float. I put exactly 10 gallons in it and it didn't even read to the 1/2 line so repo junk is off but works. I will be searching for original ones in my attic and send out to Desert auto to rebuild or buy one of theirs. Tired of fuel gauge problems...BTW my Shelby's unit "stuck" at just below a 1/4 tank causing me to run out of gas(infrequent use of the car a few years ago I didn't notice the issue) on a busy freeway in 95 degree heat.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

69 GT350 Vert

Virginia Mustang sells higher quality repro fuel senders if you need one.