Author Topic: KR Axle Housing Paint Markings July Build  (Read 2307 times)

Craner

• View Profile
KR Axle Housing Paint Markings July Build
« on: July 01, 2022, 08:39:15 PM »
Interested in understanding production line paint markings.

I observed many markings on the rear housing after doing a basic clean and external inspection of the assy from my car.
Is there a general understanding of what job aid, or production line process step these refer to ?

The center section has the typical orange and yellow paint color markings. (photo attached)

The axle housing has:
 - blue paint lines at the brake line junction block and axle vent hose coupling (photo attached)
 - yellow wide paint marking on the passenger side, by the brake backing plate (photo attached)
 - yellow “X” paint marking where the 2 brakes lines meet. (photo attached)
 - light yellow paint marking at the drivers side end, near the brake baking plate. (photo attached)
 - white marking on the center section rear of housing. I’m not sure if that is a number? (photo attached)
 - orange paint marking (line) near the brake junction block. (photo attached)

Sorry, I can only attach 4 photos.
Others available on request. 

I’d be interested to hear from folks that can explain these.
I’m guessing that these are typical of what is found on other rear axle housing assemblies.
Thank you!
Fran

Jack4159

• View Profile
Re: KR Axle Housing Paint Markings July Build
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 12:14:11 AM »
Thanks for posting Fran, interested to see the feedback as I'm about to detail my axle housing.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 09:23:55 AM »
Thats a 4 -speed KR  2 hole housing automatic has 1 hole.  Great original photos and looks like the brake hose line strap was never installed?

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 10:50:12 AM »
Thats a 4 -speed KR  2 hole housing automatic has 1 hole.  Great original photos and looks like the brake hose line strap was never installed?

It's a typical housing used after about February 1968 on all Mustang / Cougars. The cars with staggered shocks use a different setup than cars that had standard shock mounting.

I don't often get to correct Special Ed.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 12:10:35 PM »
What was wrong in my post as i pointed out that thats a KR  68 1/2'' cj  4-speed 2 hole housing of which is unique for those cars that have staggered shocks. The 68 1/2 cj and KR automatics have the 1 hole housing and thats why the 68 cj resonators have different bends on the lh rear pipe over axle to clear staggered shocks and the cj automatic has different bend than 4-speed cjs.  In 69  70 all 31 spline housings use the 2 hole housing and the resonator pipes are same bends between 4-speed and automatics cjs. The reason i made my post was to point out in his great photos that thats a 4-speed  2 hole housing and some of the color codes will be different on an automatic  1 hole housing.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 12:14:55 PM by Special Ed »

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 07:40:54 PM »
What was wrong in my post as i pointed out that thats a KR  68 1/2'' cj  4-speed 2 hole housing of which is unique for those cars that have staggered shocks. The 68 1/2 cj and KR automatics have the 1 hole housing and thats why the 68 cj resonators have different bends on the lh rear pipe over axle to clear staggered shocks and the cj automatic has different bend than 4-speed cjs.  In 69  70 all 31 spline housings use the 2 hole housing and the resonator pipes are same bends between 4-speed and automatics cjs. The reason i made my post was to point out in his great photos that thats a 4-speed  2 hole housing and some of the color codes will be different on an automatic  1 hole housing.

Ford started using that housing for ALL 1968 /Mustang / Cougars with a 9" rear. Even 28 spline applications. It's not unique to a Shelby - it's a common housing.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 09:58:41 PM »
- The yellow large mark in the top center of the third member was a quick identifier of that particular type, compared to others in the Sterling at the time.

- What you describe as blue can be also found as a teal marking that help guide the worker installing hardware into that hole find it quickly so that the process would be quicker

- Yellow ring around the end of the housing is an interesting one that shows up on 68 9" housings and was continued for a couple of years. First thought it was a guide as to what side the end of the tube should be installed when attaching it to the springs but have found examples marked on passenger and drivers ends unless the one side were mistakes and they figured it out anyway.  ::)

- Letter or number on one end of a tube for the rearend I've not figured out as of yet. Seen on not all originals but these can be found back to 64 production and through 73 at least

Hope this helps

For others viewing these colors, marks and other details might likely not apply to your car. Do your home work, don't take the easy route and don't be "that guy"
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 03:25:17 PM »

That’s very true because Ed is usually correct and in this case he is. For the sake of simplicity and not to confuse people over the spline count because of how Shelby put 31 spline axles into conventional 9 inch housings I will just say that there is a staggered shock housing and a non-staggered shock housing. The 68 four-speed cobra jets which included cars were the only cars that used the staggered shock housing and it does have the two holes like Ed is describing. The standard 9 inch housing had one hole that held down the brake hose and use the vent hose to secure it. On a staggered shock car because the exhaust has to go around that shock there needs to be a relocation of the vent hose.
Easiest way to see this is look in an MPC. Four-speed cobra jet car is used a C8 brake hose and all other 67 and 68 9 Inch housings used C7
Special ed correct, again 😁

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 05:30:19 PM »
Because it can be hard to find a 4 speed KR/Cobra jet housing many will drill the extra hole in the correct location to make it comply.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 05:33:13 PM »
Because it can be hard to find a 4 speed KR/Cobra jet housing many will drill the extra hole in the correct location to make it comply.
Of course you have to start out with a period correct 9 inch housing to accomplish the mod correctly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 05:47:38 PM »

I have not had to drill the extra hole. Got one last year from an X code 1968 Cougar (U date code, scheduled July 15) out of Georgia to replace the one in a 428CJ Cougar GT-E (June 1968 actual build date) that was simply too pitted to use. The X codeCougar had a peg leg 28 spline 9 inch with 2.75 to one ratio and the plain single rib center section. But the main housing and the brake backing plates are the same as any GT500 KR.

The brake flex hose is different as are the hard lines and the wheel cylinders if you have staggered shocks. Only 428CJ 4 speed cars were supposed to get that but apparently some automatics accidentally got it too. This R code GT-E was a C6 and it had the typical regular shock arrangement.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 06:41:17 PM »
This is from my copy of the Lincoln Mercury MPC. Note that my copy was last revised April 1969, therefore the last model year shown is 1969. The "1975 Final Revision) likely differs considerably.

Note that I was off on my date - the correct date for the two plug rear axle housing is April 1, 1968. My theory is that date is consistent with the introduction of the 428CJ.

It shows C7ZZ 4010-F being used prior to that date on axles with build prefixes starting with WES or WFD.

The later housing is P/N C8ZZ 4010-A and it shows applicability as being WES, WFB and WFD axle assembly prefixes.

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 06:46:23 PM »

That’s very true because Ed is usually correct and in this case he is. For the sake of simplicity and not to confuse people over the spline count because of how Shelby put 31 spline axles into conventional 9 inch housings I will just say that there is a staggered shock housing and a non-staggered shock housing. The 68 four-speed cobra jets which included cars were the only cars that used the staggered shock housing and it does have the two holes like Ed is describing. The standard 9 inch housing had one hole that held down the brake hose and use the vent hose to secure it. On a staggered shock car because the exhaust has to go around that shock there needs to be a relocation of the vent hose.
Easiest way to see this is look in an MPC. Four-speed cobra jet car is used a C8 brake hose and all other 67 and 68 9 Inch housings used C7
Special ed correct, again 😁

Shelby didn't put 31 spline axles in anything - Ford did on the assembly line.

warwick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 07:24:37 PM »
May build 427 GTE. WFD-A-31 spline (axle built 3rd week April), C6, two hole housing

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 07:32:24 PM »
May build 427 GTE. WFD-A-31 spline (axle built 3rd week April), C6, two hole housing

Ed Zackery. Lots of 351 cars got that housing in '69 too.