Author Topic: KR leaf springs  (Read 1011 times)

Jack4159

• View Profile
KR leaf springs
« on: July 02, 2022, 12:09:11 AM »
So....I was planning to dissemble my springs, refinish, chuck out the old bands and replace with correct square hole bands.
I didn't realise but had a closer look at my leaf springs today(they are not original) and the bands on it are the type with a "rivet" on one side and open ends on the other.
My question is, can I remove those bands and replace them with the different, but correct, square hole bands?
I can get new Scott Drake springs(made in India) in Australia with in a grey finish but they have the round hole band and come to the retailer in bulk on a pallet so are all scratched up.
I could import eaton springs but they are black, would be happy with the ones from Virginia classic mustang but freight alone on either of these options is about US$650- to Australia.
Hence, I'm back to having my existing springs phosphated which I can get done for about US$200-.....but this only makes sense if I can replace the existing bands with the "correct" style.
Can I?

Thanks all. 

GT350AUS

• View Profile
Re: KR leaf springs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 03:57:47 AM »
Where can you get them Phosphated in Australia?

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 04:27:40 AM »
In Perth, they did my hood springs/brackets and some other bits.Cant remember the name offhand but i have the details at home PM me if you want them.

GT350AUS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 05:53:01 AM »
I’m in Melbourne so over on the other side.

Thanks anyway

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 11:06:53 AM »
I would say those are aftermarket springs. All the rivets make them very different from originals. I think you could replace the clamps successfully but why bother?
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 12:35:08 PM »
I would say those are aftermarket springs. All the rivets make them very different from originals. I think you could replace the clamps successfully but why bother?
Hi Royce,
Well mainly because the springs are pretty untidy and will be the only thing on the underside of the car not looking good.So I figured if I am going to take the old bands off to refinish the springs I might as well replace them with the correct ones.I understand the springs will still be incorrect, so this is for aesthetics only and no extra effort required to switch the bands if it’s ok to do.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 06:51:29 PM »
Be careful with shops that phosphate. How the parts are heated (how high a temp) and cooled or quenched is very important and if done wrong can have an affect the strength and even rating of the springs. We had the same issue earlier in the hobby with hood springs so those were done at a lower heat than for example hood hinges

+1 on the non-original springs but you likely know that already
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 12:41:04 PM »
Be careful with shops that phosphate. How the parts are heated (how high a temp) and cooled or quenched is very important and if done wrong can have an affect the strength and even rating of the springs. We had the same issue earlier in the hobby with hood springs so those were done at a lower heat than for example hood hinges

+1 on the non-original springs but you likely know that already
Thanks Jeff, Good to know.
With that info and the other advice I have received here I’m now thinking I will start fresh with new springs front and rear.
Much appreciated all.