News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

69 rims pics paradise wheels with originals

Started by Jack4159, July 08, 2022, 06:24:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack4159

Thought maybe these pics might help someone at some stage, an original 69 rim off my KR(that's a whole nother story, I'm not saying they are original to the KR though it seems "likely" the car left the dealership with them on......just saying they are original 69's)with new rim from paradise wheels adjacent. I waited a year for these and am very happy with them for my non concours KR.
Just thought these pics may help someone with a 69 thinking about new wheels, now or down the track a bit.

Special Ed

The main noticeable difference when installed on the car is the far outside original  rim lip is curled upward on both ends of the original rims.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Jack4159 on July 08, 2022, 06:24:40 AM
Thought maybe these pics might help someone at some stage, an original 69 rim off my KR(that's a whole nother story, I'm not saying they are original to the KR though it seems "likely" the car left the dealership with them on......just saying they are original 69's)with new rim from paradise wheels adjacent. I waited a year for these and am very happy with them for my non concours KR.
Just thought these pics may help someone with a 69 thinking about new wheels, now or down the track a bit.
To clarify so that there is no confusion for those reading as the OP said they are new wheels meaning a reproduction of the original and not a restoration of the original. To explain the difference notice on the inside of the center that it is made with a steel insert cast inside of the aluminum center. The Paradise 69/70 centers are identical to the originals in all visual aspects. The exposed steel is then welded to a modern DOT approved rim the differences of which Spec Ed pointed out. You can see the weld bead in the picture. When restoring original wheels Paradise will use the same modern DOT rim and attach the original restored center by applying epoxy and then adding cap screws . The early originals were made with epoxy holding in the centers . The factory recalled those wheels because of some incidents of center breakage and separation. The later wheels used in the recall were made with the epoxy and rivets holding in the center. Craig told me decades ago he would not put in a factory type rivet because the liability was not worth the risk in his opinion. At the end of the day when you compare the new repro and restored original to each other you end up with about the same thing originality wise when compared to a assemblyline  wheel. I am not aware of anyone that rechromes the original rim and restores and attaches the rim with rivets like original . Also keep in mind if trying to rechrome a original rim that in the process of separating the rim from the center it is easy to ruin the original aluminum center if it is even salvageable given many are beyond saving because of corrosion. For example the few companies that restored them with rivets some years ago found that it was typical to need maybe 8 wheels to restore a set of 4. As far as I know Craig's way it the only game in town so to speak. Regardless the wheels look beautiful.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shlb69

How much did they cost and how much to restore?

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Jack4159

I can only tell you what I paid which was $600- per rim for 7" and $625- for 8 inch plus $100- per center cap.
Not sure if prices are still the same, also not sure about restoration costs re existing wheels as I preferred to keep my existing wheels intact so never explored that route.

crossboss

Guys,
What do you think of this set? I placed a late model Mustang wheel cap on the left rim.
Click on pic to enlarge.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Bob Gaines

Quote from: crossboss on July 12, 2022, 12:34:01 AM
Guys,
What do you think of this set? I placed a late model Mustang wheel cap on the left rim.
Click on pic to enlarge.
I looks like a pretty after market wheel but it's one piece all aluminum construction is not like the Paradise reproduction or original ether. It is less then ether IMO. The SD all aluminum ones have been around for a couple years now.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

crossboss

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 12, 2022, 12:50:12 AM
Quote from: crossboss on July 12, 2022, 12:34:01 AM
Guys,
Click on pic to enlarge.
I looks like a pretty after market wheel but it's one piece all aluminum construction is not like the Paradise reproduction or original ether. It is less then ether IMO. The SD all aluminum ones have been around for a couple years now.

They are a 17X9 all alum wheel. The centers are painted a silver/charcoal grey. Not 'correct' yet nice.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30