News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Red Hertz

Started by deathsled, July 08, 2022, 04:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S7MS427

Don't know about the current registry but the 2011 edition starting on page 752 has a listing of almost every Hertz car by color and VIN as well as city, transmission type, and location.  You should be able to extract what you want from that.  Hope this helps.
Roy Simkins
http://www.s-techent.com/Shelby.htm
1966 G.T.350H SFM6S817
1967 G.T.500 67400F7A03040

deathsled

Quote from: Wedgeman on July 11, 2022, 04:27:01 PM
Anyone know how many White/Gold Hertz cars there were ??
I just finished counting.  I saw 70 white Hertz cars.  (Note two Hertz cars did not have a color specified that I could find in the alpha numeric part of the latest registry).  I did not note the stripe color as I know there were a few blue striped ones or at least one blue striped car.  I have not yet noted which ones are missing or their stripe colors.  Awaiting further instructions.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

deathsled

Quote from: 98SVT - was 06GT on July 11, 2022, 04:22:14 PM
I'd imagine Howard can sort the 66 Hertz cars by color with a mouse click on his spread sheet. It would be fun to have a spread sheet of all the Hertz cars so you could sort color and also where/when sent so you could see if the rust belt cars have a lower survival rate. I'd bet many went to the crusher in the mid to late 70s before the value shot up and little oddball sheet metal replacement parts were available. Today it's not unheard of to replace all but a 6" piece on the top of each front fender apron.
I suspect that Howard could indeed perform such a feat.  But half the fun is cracking open and I mean carefully "cracking open" the 66 Registry and doing a manual count.  The pages remain glued in mine though I have heard some instances where the binding did not hold.  And someone cleverly resorted to three hole punching to make a binder out of it.  (Real American ingenuity I'd say which is is shorter supply with younger people some who cannot figure out how to use a can opener in all seriousness, but I digress).
I concur that a number of said Hertz cars went to the crusher, but some I contend are still hidden away somewhere perhaps in swampland. I believe one was found in Chicagoland sinking into the earth from whence it arose.  I suppose we can seek solace in the fact that they still exist at the subatomic level on this planet, haunting the roads on moonless nights.  Hmmm.  Getting an idea or two here.  Feeling inspired.

deathsled

Addendum:  Twenty-one (21) of the white Hertz cars are current whereabouts unknown.
21/70 = 30 percent are missing current whereabouts unknown.  I noticed a trend on the missing ones and the trails grow cold in 1967 thereabouts.  Nothing of them since the good ol' 60s.