News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

1300 hp Mercury Comet brake failure

Started by deathsled, July 10, 2022, 01:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathsled

Nasty accident. Sad to see.  They should have worn the harnesses in hindsight.  (Aside from an analysis regarding prior knowledge about the sticking throttle and the brake issue.)  I suspect some litigation will ensue. 
https://youtu.be/5oO226PgSkg
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

FL SAAC

Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Predictable when you put a Chevy motor in a comet...The car got pissed off..... :o

honker

Thanks for posting, nasty !  they were lucky to come out of it !

I know he had only seconds to decide, but maybe killing the motor, drag from that and the tranny and tires might have slowed the

car a bit before the hit.  but he says the driver thought he could drive through it at the intersection.

deathsled

I thought he put the transmission in reverse as it was happening?  The only alternative option would have been to take the far right lane as it was clear of traffic and looped around in the intersection to get back into the right lane past the intersection.  But this was a crisis situation so the reaction times demanded to make such a move would be just a guess.  I would not have done any better under the circumstances.  The shoulder harnesses would have mitigated the injuries.  However, I will not be putting a console e brake or harnesses in my red Hertz.  I'll take my chances thank you.

OldGuy

This whole scenario is an exercise of dumb compounded by dumber. Wimpy, undersized/outdated brakes, sticking throttle, attenuating speed by riding the brakes, not pulling over when the smell of burning brakes was detected. What could possibly go wrong(?)! Too much time/money was spent making the car mean and shiny.

I applaud the producers for airing this video. It demonstrated some of what "could" go wrong. I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt.

Frank   

deathsled

Well, the passenger lost four teeth and the driver "blew out his elbow."  It is not clear what injuries were sustained by the driver and any other occupant of the SUV.  I would suspect soft tissue to herneated disks of the cervical and lumbar regions requiring possible surgery to correct or a minimum of aggressive physical therapy over the course of months.  From a liability viewpoint, this is a plaintiff attorney's dream case.  Fully documented with damaging testimony and visuals.

Kent

Absoluteley right, I always have an backup procedure on all of my cars. From my Drag Car to my Volvo XC70 you should always have an Plan B

Quote from: OldGuy on July 11, 2022, 12:01:51 PM
This whole scenario is an exercise of dumb compounded by dumber. Wimpy, undersized/outdated brakes, sticking throttle, attenuating speed by riding the brakes, not pulling over when the smell of burning brakes was detected. What could possibly go wrong(?)! Too much time/money was spent making the car mean and shiny.

I applaud the producers for airing this video. It demonstrated some of what "could" go wrong. I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt.

Frank   
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet´s and some nice Mustang Fastback´s 67/68

crossboss

Quote from: deathsled on July 11, 2022, 01:29:50 PM
Well, the passenger lost four teeth and the driver "blew out his elbow."  It is not clear what injuries were sustained by the driver and any other occupant of the SUV.  I would suspect soft tissue to herneated disks of the cervical and lumbar regions requiring possible surgery to correct or a minimum of aggressive physical therapy over the course of months.  From a liability viewpoint, this is a plaintiff attorney's dream case.  Fully documented with damaging testimony and visuals.

The Comet owner will be paying for the rest of his life for this accident. I can see a multi-million dollar settlement from this. Not only that, Im sure he was cited for vehicle/traffic for causing an accident. IF he was intoxicated in any way, he will lose his drivers license. Also, IF he knew the brakes were dangerous (and drove anyways) he IS liable for negligence too. Comet owner may lose his house, personal property/cars/toys to pay the judgements and lawyers. He is finished financially....all because of a stupid decision.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30