News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

8T02S14338401385 on BAT

Started by 5s386, July 12, 2022, 01:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azdriver

For sure will bring more than current bid of 65k.

GT350Lad

I think I saw a post a few weeks back with someone chasing a project 68
Here you go

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

CharlesTurner

Quote from: azdriver on July 12, 2022, 02:25:07 PM

And will cost over $100k to restore and hundreds of hours spent, so it's already impractical from many perspectives.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

Coralsnake

Some people over there need psychiatric help and are very foolish with their money.

shelbydoug

Quote from: CharlesTurner on July 12, 2022, 05:31:01 PM
Quote from: azdriver on July 12, 2022, 02:25:07 PM

And will cost over $100k to restore and hundreds of hours spent, so it's already impractical from many perspectives.

That's my point of a "project car" being overpriced by double or more then it should bring.

That really means that someone would need to find one for $20 or $25 thousand and that is about as likely as finding the Loc Ness Monster alive.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

azdriver

I totally agree. Shelby project car prices are way higher than they should be.... but not the only ones.....

https://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/d/prescott-1969-ford-mustang-mach-r-code/7498171012.html

GT350Lad

It's the feel of having the Shelby in the garage and knowing what it once was and can be. The reality is like Charles said so much time and money.
Really hard because we all want there's cars resurrected and on the road.
Watch this auction

6S373
6S1276

Don Johnston

Perhaps it is the perception that by the time the restoration is complete that the market growth will exceed the incurred costs by a large margin.  This may be happening to viewers o too many televised auctions and resulting rapid rise of winning bids. 8)

J_Speegle

There has always been those buyers that believe through contacts, friend, or themselves they can do it cheaper or easier. Looking over the decades the gap between projects and well finished car/drivers has always been narrow since there is almost always someone willing to take on the challenge and the belief or possibility of doing things at a lower cost. I sold many cars over the years for those with that mindset, back when that funded my cars and hoddy. Of course its not going to cost you 100K if you have your own resources, skills, tools and a place to do the work but those people seem to reflect less of the current "hobbist" we see in the "hobby. Yes there is still the time needed to complete the effort but that is looked at and is often different depending on the person.

Also not all buyers fit a specific mold no more than the cars do so IMHO we can't lump them all into the same mold of our own design.

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

One insight on a BaT winner was a 1970 4 speed drag pack Q-code sportsroof in black. A very restorable turd that I saw in person. I was interested in the car, knew the seller's father for decades and told him my limit which the car was close to at the day before the end of auction. The winning bidder paid 74.5K(approx 78K). I then met the new owner on the CJ forum via private messenger. I found out the guy was living in Switzerland working and saw the car and thought it was cool. He just fell in love with the car. He said he has a steep learning curve as he knows nothing about them. I mentioned some well known restorers and told him the good ones probably had a waiting list. He was going to get the car shipped to a  friend in Va Beach or a friend in Wi.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbydoug

Quote from: J_Speegle on July 13, 2022, 04:28:09 AM
There has always been those buyers that believe through contacts, friend, or themselves they can do it cheaper or easier. Looking over the decades the gap between projects and well finished car/drivers has always been narrow since there is almost always someone willing to take on the challenge and the belief or possibility of doing things at a lower cost. I sold many cars over the years for those with that mindset, back when that funded my cars and hoddy. Of course its not going to cost you 100K if you have your own resources, skills, tools and a place to do the work but those people seem to reflect less of the current "hobbist" we see in the "hobby. Yes there is still the time needed to complete the effort but that is looked at and is often different depending on the person.

Also not all buyers fit a specific mold no more than the cars do so IMHO we can't lump them all into the same mold of our own design.

A person can do all the work themselves and not pay themselves for the labor but you can not roll back the clock in a time machine and get the parts that you need for 1969 prices. Not to my knowledge anyway?

You can convince yourself that a date now with Raquel Welsh is hot but be prepared to have a revelation that she is just not the same as when she stared in "One Million BC". Fantasize all that you want but time has marched on.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Mikelj5S230

I think the absolute price affordability also plays a role. A guy can't afford $160K for a restored one, but can pay $65K+ for a piece of junk and then dream about slowly and cheaply fixing it up.....
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

shelbymann1970

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 13, 2022, 08:06:02 AM
Quote from: J_Speegle on July 13, 2022, 04:28:09 AM

A person can do all the work themselves and not pay themselves for the labor but you can not roll back the clock in a time machine and get the parts that you need for 1969 prices. Not to my knowledge anyway?

You can convince yourself that a date now with Raquel Welsh is hot but be prepared to have a revelation that she is just not the same as when she stared in "One Million BC". Fantasize all that you want but time has marched on.
My friend paid  MORE for a set of NOS Hubcaps than you would have paid for a new 68 Shelby in 1969. How's that for perspective?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)