Author Topic: 8T02S14338401385 on BAT  (Read 5262 times)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 8T02S14338401385 on BAT
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2022, 06:32:57 AM »
I think its safe to say the uninformed rule BaT
Don't tell anyone but I'm going to bid on this car at the end factoring in a full restoration from a Mustang shop will only cost me 22K.   :o
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2022, 07:47:44 AM »
Geez, that would be about $10 if you factor in a few parts. I think you can do it cheaper.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 08:40:28 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2022, 08:19:54 AM »
Geez, that would be about $10 if you factor in a few parts. I thonk you can do it cheaper.
A friend a couple of years ago took a Detroit Autorama winning 67 non GT FB 390 4 speed Brittany blue 1 family owned Ford glass house display car and had it "perfected" as in massaging all fit lines and with Sikkens paint from a well known Detroit area shop. 30K. Yep, 30K disassembly paint and reassembly.
My vert factoring in I painted the engine bay, trunk, underside and lower blackout I had with parts, media blasting , metal work, fiberglass work, refitting the fiberglass(I did some) I had over 11K into it and I did all the disassembly and reassembly on the car. I striped the car with my painter also. That was to get to a painted shell. That was 1999-2002 prices. 22K in today's prices for a full resto? Well my Vert was in better shape than this car to start with.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2022, 10:03:07 AM »
We have two trains of thought here on what we feel we should do about ownership of these cars. As our group ages I have found most cant and wont do even the simplest tasks on cars anymore, changing oil, tune ups, brake jobs etc. This group tends to lean in the I am going to purchase something that is DONE... because they are done, working on things anymore. Then we have the usually younger group or just those that can and will bring their cars back to life without the exorbitant cost of 100k plus restorations and have the feel good feeling that they actually were involved in its coming back to life. Thats what makes the world go round, the cans and the cants or the ones that build, race, restore their cars and the ones that write a big check, and park them in their garages to look at. There is a place for all in the car collector world.

mikeh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2022, 10:05:17 AM »
We have two trains of thought here on what we feel we should do about ownership of these cars. As our group ages I have found most cant and wont do even the simplest tasks on cars anymore, changing oil, tune ups, brake jobs etc. This group tends to lean in the I am going to purchase something that is DONE... because they are done, working on things anymore. Then we have the usually younger group or just those that can and will bring their cars back to life without the exorbitant cost of 100k plus restorations and have the feel good feeling that they actually were involved in its coming back to life. Thats what makes the world go round, the cans and the cants or the ones that build, race, restore their cars and the ones that write a big check, and park them in their garages to look at. There is a place for all in the car collector world.

+1

pmustang

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2022, 02:53:50 PM »
Not many folks have the funds in hand to outright buy a done car. And we all know VERY few done cars are done. But what a fair few folks can do is pay 50% of the cost of a done car and add money over time

I sell projects, driver quality and nice local show stuff and the projects get a lot of interest. They want the “done” car but can afford the project car

And yes. Many never get finished and some get offered back to me

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2022, 03:09:15 PM »
Not many folks have the funds in hand to outright buy a done car. And we all know VERY few done cars are done. But what a fair few folks can do is pay 50% of the cost of a done car and add money over time

I sell projects, driver quality and nice local show stuff and the projects get a lot of interest. They want the “done” car but can afford the project car

And yes. Many never get finished and some get offered back to me
So true but how many can afford a 70K project that they will then dump over time 10s of thousands into? I understand the 10K to 30K dollar projects. Do you sell a lot of 70K dollar plus projects? 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2022, 05:07:51 PM »
All the previous comments and observations are well said.  It is my hope that the buyer will get involved as a member of SAAC and use the knowledge here to keep the restoration project moving forward.  Attending national and regional SAAC shows is always a good incentive to keep the work progressing and to avoid making the project a cobweb of wishes or the future.  Getting behind the wheel of a rusty, rough running classic Shelby is better than watching the vermin make it a home or a storage facility of parts and dreams. 8)

6s341

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2022, 12:41:21 AM »
Don, I agree. Well stated!

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2022, 02:38:35 AM »
All the previous comments and observations are well said.  It is my hope that the buyer will get involved as a member of SAAC and use the knowledge here to keep the restoration project moving forward.  Attending national and regional SAAC shows is always a good incentive to keep the work progressing and to avoid making the project a cobweb of wishes or the future.  Getting behind the wheel of a rusty, rough running classic Shelby is better than watching the vermin make it a home or a storage facility of parts and dreams. 8)

Agree Don. Like I said earlier I would love to see that car resurrected or just driven!!
Future buyer.. join SAAC. Join us
6S373
6S1276

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2022, 07:08:50 AM »
I have had my eyes on a project 68 GT500 4 speed car(30K original miles). Sadly the original owner died last labor day and never got around to restoring it after taking it off the road around 1973 due to an engine issue. I met my friend's uncle a few years back and told him I'd assist him if he wanted to get the project going. Well after he died his widow(second wife) said she wanted to wait until spring before making a decision on what to do. I talked to her last winter. To be clear she will never restore it herself or have it done.  My friend said his aunt wanted to wait at least a year now  before deciding what to do. So this may be another car sitting for years to come until she passes and then the heirs will have to deal with it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2022, 01:30:39 PM »

I agree, I have known acquaintances of mine in the 48 plus years I have been in this hobby that wrote the big check and bought the perfect restoration of a car that they desired. That once they got it home we're brought to the realization that what there big check bought was not what they were sold. In a couple of cases the assembly line correct parts were removed and replaced with "NOS" or catalog parts by the seller while the car was waiting to be picked up for shipping. (One of the reasons I always suggest that you secure your purchase immediately). In another case the car turned out to be a rebody. So my thinking has always been that a project isn't more expensive because you KNOW what is in it because you put it there.

BTW, my 1969 BOSS 302 didn't need that much body work and because I told the painter I wanted no Bondo and preferred the car to be metal finished. Aye, that is short for a lot of detail work. The paint job was $26,000 in 2006. The paint is the only thing I don't do.

Projects have there place as long as peace of mind in provenance is the pay off.

$66,000 for that '68 GT500 isn't that scary to my scenario.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2022, 01:41:12 PM »

I agree, I have known acquaintances of mine in the 48 plus years I have been in this hobby that wrote the big check and bought the perfect restoration of a car that they desired. That once they got it home we're brought to the realization that what there big check bought was not what they were sold. In a couple of cases the assembly line correct parts were removed and replaced with "NOS" or catalog parts by the seller while the car was waiting to be picked up for shipping. (One of the reasons I always suggest that you secure your purchase immediately). In another case the car turned out to be a rebody. So my thinking has always been that a project isn't more expensive because you KNOW what is in it because you put it there.

BTW, my 1969 BOSS 302 didn't need that much body work and because I told the painter I wanted no Bondo and preferred the car to be metal finished. Aye, that is short for a lot of detail work. The paint job was $26,000 in 2006. The paint is the only thing I don't do.

Projects have there place as long as peace of mind in provenance is the pay off.

I agree as I do everything but my own "outer paint" thanks to the pic below done in an attached garage. Wife said NO MORE painting after doing this. Now your quote I agree as that is just a little more than I would spend on this car being an automatic BUT the thinking is as the auction nears it's end it will pop a lot higher and to me that would be scary but we all have our opinions.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

JohnSlack

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2022, 02:19:42 PM »

I agree as I do everything but my own "outer paint" thanks to the pic below done in an attached garage. Wife said NO MORE painting after doing this. Now your quote I agree as that is just a little more than I would spend on this car being an automatic BUT the thinking is as the auction nears it's end it will pop a lot higher and to me that would be scary but we all have our opinions.

That is known as the limit of pain tolerance. My wife is truly my partner in my cars and it becomes what am I willing to endure for my part of the hobby.

If the juice box tranny '68 GT500 goes to $80,000 then the level of pain increases to a less likely scenario. But a buyer also needs to factor in acquiring the parts, transportation of the project, flying out and immediately locking it down. I also have transported the cars myself quietly in the enclosed confines of a Penske 26' box truck on multiple occasions. Once in Arizona we were sitting still when a person with a 5th wheel trailer sideswiped the Penske truck and the truck had to be delivered to a Penske truck dealer in Laughlin. The dealer told us that he would have the load transferred to the new truck in a little while. Well once he opened the door he said "you can't transport a car in the back of the truck!" He told his guys not to worry about transferring the load. For half an hour he read me the riot act. After half an hour my wife tired of his rant interrupted him and asked him if we could transport car parts in the truck? To which he agreed that we could. She calmly and leveled her voice in a way that only she has ever been able to pull off. She said "No engine, no transmission, that is one large automobile part." He sat there for a moment and asked me how do you want to do the transfer. We backed a truck up to the damaged truck and moved the car into the second truck, and then transferred the car into the third truck so that the cushioning system I had made could still support the car from the rear as it was in the first truck.

It's a hobby, you can figure in what your time is worth....or you can take into consideration the cost of additional therapy if you were not having the fun. There is a value as 427Heaven was alluding to in sitting at a show listening to a guy who wrote the big check describing in detail watching the ink dry on the check compared to reminding him that you built his motor.

John

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2022, 01:41:40 PM »
Can someone refresh my memory- did 68 BB cars have unique shock towers and do the ones on this car look correct. He added pictures but I can't remember how they looked originally to see if they look correct or not. I'm not claiming this car has the wrong shock towers - more looking for identification que's based on this car.