News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 air conditioning detail

Started by shelbydoug, July 12, 2022, 02:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Does the 68 use a metal bracket set, like the 65-6 does where the a/c lines pass through the radiator support to the condenser?

I know that it uses a grommet but is there a metal bracket set that attaches it to the radiator support?

I can't find any pictures or diagrams that show the detail at that point? I simply don't remember what it is supposed to look like?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

No metal brackets, just a foam gasket

CharlesTurner

Are you talking about the tube clamps on the engine bay side?

65-66 does not have a metal bracket at the radiator support for the lines.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

Quote from: Coralsnake on July 12, 2022, 02:27:44 PM
No metal brackets, just a foam gasket

OK, thanks. That's what I needed to know.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 12, 2022, 02:14:26 PM
Does the 68 use a metal bracket set, like the 65-6 does where the a/c lines pass through the radiator support to the condenser?

I know that it uses a grommet but is there a metal bracket set that attaches it to the radiator support?

I can't find any pictures or diagrams that show the detail at that point? I simply don't remember what it is supposed to look like?
It sounds like this is the bracket you are referring to. The bracket is PO and is the same 67-70 Shelby with AC .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 12, 2022, 04:13:46 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on July 12, 2022, 02:14:26 PM

It sounds like this is the bracket you are referring to. The bracket is PO and is the same 67-70 Shelby with AC .

No, not that one. I'm aware of that one. I always presumed that there was a bracket that mounted to the outside of the radiator support that held the "grommet" firmly in place and that I was just missing it.

Over the years I didn't pay much attention to it and it faded from memory until today I got the "Toody and Muldoon, car 54", OO, OO, OO!

In my neck of the woods there were never many A/C cars to compare to and even less owners who knew what was original to the car or not.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

The foam grommet is held on with a similar if not the same adhesive as the cars weatherstrip.

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on July 12, 2022, 07:17:23 PM
The foam grommet is held on with a similar if not the same adhesive as the cars weatherstrip.

Thank you for your insights.

The interior bracket always would cause issue because of the sharpness of the sheet metal screw that was used. It hooked me many a time.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!