Author Topic: 65 mustang fastback rear frame rails.  (Read 1950 times)

V8Dave

• View Profile
65 mustang fastback rear frame rails.
« on: March 13, 2022, 10:42:39 AM »
Hello Everyone.
I have a question regarding 65 mustang fastback rear frame rails.
Again i dont have access currently to my 65 osbourne assembly manuals to look as they are in storage however a family member is replacing the rear frame rail section on a 65 fastback passenger side rear where the leaf spring shackle goes as it has gone very bad with rust however the rest of the rail is in great condition go figure. He has purchase a 20 inch rear frame rail section to repair just the bad bit at the back.
On the new repro rail there is a insert infront of the hole for the shackle bushing that also strengthens the frame rail and allows two bolts to go through the rail from the side. What was the purpass of these holes in the frame rail and with the plate inside also?. Was it for exhaust mounting brackets or was it just for the tie down brackets to be installed for when the cars where new and transported on car haulers back in the day.
I will try to include a photo as to what i am describing. Because my family member was on about welding them up and grinding them flush if they are not used for anything critical as he would not be bothered about reinstalling tie down brackets to the car as its a drive and its also less holes for water to get into in the future.
Thank you for any help or advice you can provide.
Many thanks
Dave

V8Dave

• View Profile
Re: 65 mustang fastback rear frame rails.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 10:45:22 AM »
Here is a link to a customer that has installed the repair patch on cj pony parts  review page and it shows the plate/ insert with the two bolts that go through left to right. I tried uploading the photo but i keep getting the folder is full message.
https://www.cjponyparts.com/rear-frame-rail-section-passenger-side-1965-1970/p/M103R/
Many thanks.

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 11:43:54 AM »
I can't tell from the picture, but they are probably crush sleeves for factory dual exhaust hangers.

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 04:04:19 PM »
Hello Kr convertible.
I agree they look like crush sleeves(sorry for the plain description but metal toilet tubes inside the rail stacked on top of each other 1 inch apart) but i was not sure if they where for the exhaust brackets like you mentioned or tie down brackets that should of be discarded at the dealerships.
Would just like to clarify before my family member decides to weld them up.
Many thanks.
Dave

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 06:02:32 PM »

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 06:06:17 PM »
Picture is a 68.  Vertical holes are for the hanger.  3 unused holes are used for hold down.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 07:52:40 PM »
Of course since your building a clone no need for the crush reinforcements or even the holes since your not going to run exhaust likely to the rear end of the car
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

V8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 09:56:58 PM »
Hello everyone.
Thanks kr convertible and j speegle for your help.
After looking at the photo of the 68 its clear they are only used for the tie down brackets so they can be welded up if he wishes. Its the two holes in the side of the frame rail spaced maybe 2 inches apart i was looking at and then the one that goes vertical between them( from the bottom upwards) thats got to be the tie down brackets. Thank you for the picture kr convertible thats brilliant.
Thank you all for the advice. Its a 65 fastback 6 cyl not rare but means alot to my family member and its not a clone its all factory stock, i just posted in this section and on this forum as i know alot of people on this forum have fantastic knowledge and advice which i respect very much so i hope i dont upset anyone posting in this section.
Again thank you all for the advice.
Many thanks again
Kind regards
Dave :D