Author Topic: 6S694 - Bring A Trailer  (Read 3156 times)

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
6S694 - Bring A Trailer
« on: July 16, 2022, 08:51:08 PM »
Link:  https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-shelby-mustang-gt350h/

Description:
This 1966 Shelby Mustang GT350H is one of approximately 1,000 examples produced as part of a partnership between Ford and the Hertz rental-car company. According to the SAAC registry, the car was shipped in January 1966 to Horn-Williams Ford Motor Co. of Dallas, Texas, for dealer preparation prior to delivery to Hertz in Dallas. The first private owner bought the car in Texas in 1967, and it was acquired by the seller out of Wisconsin in 2005. The car was initially refurbished and modified by a previous owner in Texas in the 1970s, with work said to have included an exterior color changes and replacement of the powertrain. A subsequent refurbishment was carried out in the mid-1990s by Shelby Parts and Restoration of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Its 302ci V8 is paired with a four-speed manual transmission, and additional equipment includes front disc brakes, 15″ Torq Thrust-style wheels, a fold-down rear seat, and a Kenwood cassette stereo. This GT350H is now offered in California with a serial number verification document from the SAAC, copies of 1966 delivery paperwork, and a clean Arizona title in the seller’s name.

The body is believed to have been finished from the factory in black, the car was refinished in Wimbledon White with blue Le Mans stripes and side stripes during prior ownership. Features unique to Shelby Mustangs include a steel-framed fiberglass hood with a scoop, hood pins, plexiglass rear quarter windows, fiberglass brake-cooling scoops on the rear fenders, and a bullet-style side mirror.

Torq Thrust-style 15” wheels were installed during prior ownership and are fitted with 225/60 BFGoodrich tires mounted in November 2021. Front disc brakes were standard on GT350 models, as were larger rear drum brakes than those used on standard Mustang models.

The cabin features front bucket seats and a folding rear bench trimmed in black vinyl. Equipment includes latch-and-link harnesses for the front occupants, manually-operated side windows, and a Kenwood cassette stereo.

The three-spoke steering wheel wears a Cobra GT350 badge and frames a 140-mph speedometer flanked by gauges for fuel level, oil pressure, coolant temperature, and battery voltage. A Cobra-branded tachometer is mounted on top of the dash. The five-digit odometer shows 34k miles, approximately 3,400 of which were added by the seller. True mileage is unknown.

The replacement 302ci V8 is said to be equipped with 351 Windsor-sourced cylinder heads and breathes through an aftermarket four-barrel carburetor, and the engine bay is fitted with an export brace and a cross bar. An oil change was completed in November 2021.

Power is delivered to the rear wheels through a four-speed manual transmission that was installed in place of the factory automatic transmission under prior ownership. Additional underside photos are provided in the gallery and show surfaces coated in red oxide primer as well as the drivetrain, exhaust system, and suspension.

The Ford serial number ........ is stamped beneath the reproduction Shelby serial number tag and corresponds to a 1966 K-code Mustang. The serial number SFM6S694 is listed as the VIN on the Arizona title.

Shelby American Automobile Club correspondence indicates that the serial number SFM6S694 aligns with a Shelby serial number recorded in their files. The seller states that the Ford serial number referenced in the letter above is the same number shown stamped on the inner fenders. Also shown in the gallery is a copy of the January 1966 order sheet for Hertz Corporation that lists standard and optional equipment as well as a total price of $3,797.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 11:41:15 PM by silverton_ford »

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
Re: 6S694 - Bring A Trailer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 10:27:28 PM »
Thanks Brian. One again a published ford VIN. I’ll send seller a message

Cheers
6S373
6S1276

5s386

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 12:27:19 AM »
Well, this will be a very interesting auction. Check out the passenger Shelby VIN.

I remember this Shelby in July of 2005 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 06:17:54 AM »
Registry is an odd read concerning the Shelby tag. I remember reading that registry a year or so ago and noting it

6S373
6S1276

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 06:51:10 AM »
Thanks Brian. One again a published ford VIN. I’ll send seller a message

You're probably fighting a loosing battle. The uninformed people over there are demanding pictures of every hidden VIN they can get their hands on. "It makes the cars more valuable" according to them.

Unless BaT addresses the issues it will likely continue.

Its kind of odd its always the same half dozen people asking for the numbers in every auction, when they have no intention of buying the cars
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 07:03:04 AM by Coralsnake »

Mikelj5S230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 09:42:38 AM »
I've never understood the secrecy issue about Shelby VINs. They are on the title, and many people want to search for the VIN for more history on the cars.  I guess everyone is concerned about fakes?
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 09:46:45 AM »
That is correct. I dont think anyone wants to buy a fake and pay Shelby money for it. It also makes it easier to extrapolate missing information and create cars and histories

The more the numbers are in circulation the harder it is to authenticate the original cars.

There are a lot of people willing to help authenticate cars, but a certain number of people think everything will just be handed to them and they can just write a check

There is no doubt in my mind the "secrecy" has protected the original cars and prevented a lot of fake cars from appearing and identifying the fakes more quickly.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:52:51 AM by Coralsnake »

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 09:48:44 AM »
That is correct. I dont think anyone wants to buy a fake and pay Shelby money for it. It also makes it easier to extrapolate missing information and create cars and histories

The more the numbers are in circulation the harder it is to authenticate the original cars.

There are a lot of people willing to help authenticate cars, but a certain number of people think everything will just be handed to them and they can just write a check

There is no doubt in my mind the "secrecy" has protected the original cars and prevented a lot of fake cars from appearing and identifying the fakes more quickly.

+1
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 10:00:50 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 09:56:21 AM »
The problem is not unique to Shelbys. Other makes and models have the same issues. The limited numbers of Shelbys And the diligence of SAAC has allowed the information to be managed better

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 10:02:07 AM »
Slap me on the @$$ and call me Sally, BaT removed the numbers.

Lets recognize that! Winning. Well done gentlemen

A private message will accomplish the same thing if a buyer really thinks those things are important. No sense making it easier for the fakers and cheaters.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 10:04:56 AM by Coralsnake »

Mikelj5S230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2022, 10:54:37 AM »
The cars I specialize in, big tank C2 Corvettes, have had some issues with fakes, but our registry, which I help maintain, keeps people honest, and since they only made a few dozen each year (and only 2 in 1967), it is a small club and almost impossible to fake, as the build characteristics are very distinctive and most are well documented and known.  The VINS are really not distinctive, except the '63s which were made in batches. so that is never an issue to hide.
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

5s386

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »
IMO, There may be a good reason the seller posted the Ford VINS. Watch the auction and comments closely.

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2022, 02:33:53 PM »
you all miss the point  the hidden mumbers (the original ford vin) you can register and title the car with the ford vin. i have titles for both vins so the car can be traced either way. this is only true for 65 66 67 cars. scoops

5s386

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2022, 11:45:54 AM »
Old Phart requested the Shelby stamped VIN on the passenger apron, yet no pictures? Will that clarify some of it's history?

GT350Lad

• SAAC Member
  • Trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2022, 06:17:42 PM »
Sold for 145k plus buyers fee
Strong market
6S373
6S1276