News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Variances on 69-70s through the model year.

Started by shelbymann1970, July 20, 2022, 08:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbymann1970

So lets start with the rear blackout. This car was a later F-60-15 car that was an executive used car in 1969. Bill Cook's dad. It has the quarter sail emblems, F-60-15s but look at the black out. It isn't on the end caps. So has other original paint or period correct pics of cars show this variance? Is it OK in judging not to have those endcaps painted black since the proof is at least one was done and since this is just a random chance of pic taking more than one? pics in link. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bossmustang/3034105505/in/album-72157609178437688/
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

The fastback endcaps inside area next to tailpanel was textured to match the textured tailpanel and all the textured area was to be black out to match and blend in but that car must have got missed or had to be repainted and forgottened to be blackout.

TOBKOB

I'm trusting my memory (should never do that  ::) ) but if I recall correctly there are pictures of that car with one end cap blacked and one not blacked. My memory isn't very good any more but I believe I'm correct.   :)

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Special Ed on July 20, 2022, 09:33:28 AM
The fastback endcaps inside area next to tailpanel was textured to match the textured tailpanel and all the textured area was to be black out to match and blend in but that car must have got missed or had to be repainted and forgottened to be blackout.
+1 . I think it was a repair after delivery that didn't get finished for one reason or another given it was engineered to be blacked out for reasons Ed explained. Just because some out of the ordinary detail is seen on one car doesn't mean that it is expected or acceptable on another car. Typically in concours something like the picture car would be considered acceptable if you could give reasonable confirmation it is the same car.  The burden of proof is typically on the entrant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

Quote from: TOBKOB on July 20, 2022, 12:19:39 PM
I'm trusting my memory (should never do that  ::) ) but if I recall correctly there are pictures of that car with one end cap blacked and one not blacked. My memory isn't very good any more but I believe I'm correct.   :)

TOB
I'd like to see that pic if it exists. To be clear this pic is of the link I sent from Bill Cook's flickr page. There are only a few pics in that folder. He also has pics he took of them being at the Indy car dealership and running out of gas on a road taking a GT500 on a test drive. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bossmustang/albums/72157609155163577 .Why I don't think a pic exists of one painted and one not? Because if it did Bill would have it in his flickr folder. You should check out his flickr folders. A LOT of great pics from a LOT of Ford and other national events(SEMA, Autorama etc). Bill is also retired from Ford and travels around shooting pics at shows. I've known Bill for a long time. I also do not believe this car was ever damaged and repainted. That will be a question for Bill when I see him next. I'm glad at a young age he was shooting pics like that. Check out his vintage Ford drag team photos! https://www.flickr.com/photos/bossmustang/albums/72157629068317131/with/6776236187/
69 GT500 homecoming car. https://www.flickr.com/photos/bossmustang/albums/72157624173170200

Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

TOBKOB

I don't have that pic saved but I think it was on a link I followed or possibly somewhere on the old forum. The pics of the non blacked caps may be what I was thinking about but maybe someone else can remember seeing the one black/one body color cap. I think the car I saw had been repaired.

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970

shelbymann1970

Quote from: TOBKOB on July 21, 2022, 09:14:41 AM
I don't have that pic saved but I think it was on a link I followed or possibly somewhere on the old forum. The pics of the non blacked caps may be what I was thinking about but maybe someone else can remember seeing the one black/one body color cap. I think the car I saw had been repaired.

TOB
I remember seeing that also but wasn't Bill's Dad's car. I actually sent an email to Bill and a link to this topic. While we are now stuck on one topic this is for other variances as well. Larry Quay had an original paint car that had some charcoal black on the fender by the hood lock brackets on one side and all body color on the other. My vert had it halfway up and the original grabber blue 70 Gt500 I once owned had nothing but factory GB on those areas.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990