News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Upgrading the interior - 69 GT500 Drag Pack Survivor

Started by acmemopars@gmail.com, July 22, 2022, 12:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acmemopars@gmail.com

I have an extremely original / survivor 69 GT500 and I am considering upgrading the interior (a little)...
Very little has ever been done to this car, it even wears the original shocks, etc..

The carpet and seats are coming apart just from the material breaking down and disintegrating, not from wear/tear.
The carpet around the edges of the kick panels and a few other places are starting to shred and breakdown, pulling away from the underlayment.
The seat bolsters around the edges are also tearing at the seams and exposing the foam pretty bad.
The headliner is also apart across the main seam in the middle of the roofline.

QUESTION:
I'm ok with the car looking a bit used, that's what's cool about a survivor, but am I committing an unforgivable sin by removing the interior and replacing the carpet and upgrading the seats ?

Thanks,

Mike
North Texas

J_Speegle

Not a "sin" but a choice and one facds by many people over time.

Some will choose to take the effort in trying to find replacement parts from other unrestored cars to replace the originals that came with the car. Keeping the originals. Others choose to use reproduction pieces and in turn changing their cars from all original to something in between restored and unrestored. You end up with something some of us refer to as a "tweener" Not a restored car nor an original one any longer. So of use have no choice in the matter where the car was repainted decades ago others have a choice and facing it currently or in more recent years. And with making the choice to "upgrade" your car becomes one of a few to one of many.   

It is just is what it is, but you knew this already and are likely looking for some justification for what you really want to do. :)

Your car may be weak in other areas and it might just be the time to address them all or you can make the opposite choice. Good luck with it since it's near impossible to reverse
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

crossboss

Replace the carpet and fix (re-upholster) the seats. No 'sins' by doing so.
While you at it, replace those worn out shocks too...
Your Shelby will thank you for it.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

shlb69

If it's still there I may know where some original carpet is

acmemopars@gmail.com

Hello and Thanks !
It would be nice to have the original carpet if it hasn't degraded or broken down over the years.
Nothing better than the original fit.