News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

428 Camshaft selection

Started by roddster, July 22, 2022, 07:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roddster

7/22/2020
   Within a month or so I will be building a 428 for my tribute car.  The question is, what cam to order?
the criteria:
   428 CJ block.  Stock stroke Scat crank, H beam rods, Trick Flow aluminum heads, Harlan sharp roller rocker are shafts. Forged 10:1 pistons
   Single 4 bbl Fuel injection carb.  This does not have to be the fastest car in town. Smooth idle desired.  The car has power brakes so vacuum to run that.  Likely 3:50 or 3:77 rear gears with automatic trans.
  The easy thing would be to run the 67 GT 390 cam like Tasca Ford used back then, BUT, I'd like to use a roller cam.
  So, any advice will be welcome.  Thanks

FL SAAC

Talk to your supplier / engine builder and go with their recommendation based on your specific needs / wants
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Rickmustang

Go to the FE forum and ask Brent Lykins Motorsports. The best.
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

pbf777

Quote from: FL SAAC on July 23, 2022, 08:18:58 AM
Talk to your supplier / engine builder and go with their recommendation based on your specific needs / wants

+1 

I realize times are changing, and perhaps additional input into the decision making process even if it is from cybe-space isn't necessarily all bad, but some guys cam recommendation over an internet forum seems to boarder on presumptuous behavior by the one making recommendations, who although may be familiar with the type of engine at hand, but knows little of the truly intended whim of the user.   :-\

Scott.

gt350shelb

there was at one time a fe cam available from ford motorsports   there was only 1  in 90s .   I think specs were in  catalog / i ran this cam in about 4 different cars . it was good idle sounded good and ran well with power brake cars .
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

shelbydoug

Quote from: pbf777 on July 23, 2022, 03:09:47 PM

+1 

I realize times are changing, and perhaps additional input into the decision making process even if it is from cybe-space isn't necessarily all bad, but some guys cam recommendation over an internet forum seems to boarder on presumptuous behavior by the one making recommendations, who although may be familiar with the type of engine at hand, but knows little of the truly intended whim of the user.   :-\

Scott.

I have found that you can't recommend a cam. There is different interpretation of what is meant by various criteria such as "good idle".

If those terms could be standardized, then there would be hope but there is no way that there is a 289 cam that will make it into a 427.

It's just best to stay completely out of the issue. People are violent these days. They could show up at the door with an AR and blame you for all of their dillusions.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 24, 2022, 09:42:11 AM
They could show up at the door with an AR and blame you for all of their dillusions.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but if one happens to knock on my door in such a fashion,..........well, lets' just say I have my own, and I know how to communicate!   :o

And I believe a little more of societal self correcting, rather than political correctness, and other current trend selfish behaviors might right the ship!   ::)

Scott.

shelbydoug

You won't have a chance. The maniac will get you from afar when you least expect it. It doesn't matter how well prepared you are.

You may be crossing the street to get a cone from Mr.Softee but he'll already be on top of the roof waiting for you with a scope and a tripod.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

pbf777

Maybe, and schit happens, but most nut-jobs really don't plan things out, and they're most often not that good.   ::)

Now, speaking of "afar", I think the .308 cal. is a popular choice; but for me, with some study on the subject (or maybe because I just have to be different  ::) ) I had a Ruger No.1 chambered for .378 Weatherby so I had it re-barreled to .30-378 cal., of a 30" length and mounted a 24X x 50MM (30mm tube) optics.  I fancy the .30 cal. as it proven itself and there are many iterations available, but probably mostly because I have lots of the WWII tungsten carbide core A.P. projectiles; though not so accurate at distance do provide superior penetration, particularly of hardened targets! 

Sorry for hijacking the thread; so lets' return to the O.P.' s topic of needs of a cam for his 428.  :)

And since I have participated in running this thread off-course; if the O.P. would like to call me and discuss this:

Quote from: pbf777 on July 23, 2022, 03:09:47 PM
.............. but knows little of the truly intended whim of the user.

I would attempt to aid him in providing another perspective on what might be appropriate for his intentions.   :)

Scott.
     407-843-3673

crossboss

Come on guys, no one on here is gonna go postal on a cam selection. Get real. As mentioned, talk to Brent Lykins.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

shelbydoug

Quote from: crossboss on July 25, 2022, 12:54:59 PM
Come on guys, no one on here is gonna go postal on a cam selection. Get real. As mentioned, talk to Brent Lykins.

Sounds like you've lived a sheltered life? Actually the pain from the hat pins in the voodoo doll are more of an issue since they can get you from distances that a rifle can't reach.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

crossboss

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 25, 2022, 07:49:57 PM

Sounds like you've lived a sheltered life? Actually the pain from the hat pins in the voodoo doll are more of an issue since they can get you from distances that a rifle can't reach.

Huh? Dude, your sounding more like a whack job.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

FL SAAC

Gota say the first suggestion still seems to be the soundest

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

Quote from: crossboss on July 25, 2022, 08:14:03 PM

8)
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbydoug on July 25, 2022, 08:16:38 PM
Quote from: crossboss on July 25, 2022, 08:14:03 PM

8)
S.D. if they only knew...

I have all UNGOLD cars