Author Topic: Paxton carb box question  (Read 1704 times)

roddster

• View Profile
Paxton carb box question
« on: July 22, 2022, 07:35:59 PM »
  I'll ask here before looking elsewhere:  Anyone know if a fuel injection type carb will fit inside our favorite "Cobra" Paxton carb box without a pile of cutting and welding?

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Paxton carb box question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 08:49:53 PM »
A Holley one should fit they are the same size as the carb. I'd go for the cheaper Sniper since it'll be hidden anyway. Check with Craig Conoley to see if anyone has done it yet.

Paradise Wheels, Inc. is the exclusive supplier/manufacturer of all ball-drive McCulloch and Paxton superchargers that were made from 1950 to 2000. We manufacture the original 1965-1968 Shelby GT350 Paxton supercharger kits that were available from Shelby American in 1966 to 1968, and all parts are available separately. In 2000, we purchased from Paxton Automotive all rights, inventory and tooling for Paxton centrifugal ball-drive supercharger units. In addition, we offer parts and rebuild services for all Paxton ball drive units (SN60, SN89, SN92, SN93 and SN2000), and McCulloch VS series units.

This listing is for the 1965-1966 Shelby GT350 Paxton supercharger kit. This kit will include all the necessary parts to install on your HP289, except a modified blower specific Paxton carburetor (those are available separately). It is possible for you to modify your existing carburetor to work with this kit. I recommend a Holley 650 double-pumper 4150 series carburetor, or an Autolite 4100 carburetor. These carburetors are available separately for an additional charge.

https://paradisewheels.biz/
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 10:02:36 PM »
You would also need to be able to deal with the wire harness.  Not a lot of extra room in the carb box.  It would be an interesting project to document. 8)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 05:05:42 PM »
I have never done one but was told that there is extensive grinding to fit any Holley in the box since it was designed for an Autolite.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 06:00:37 PM »
I have a Holley 650 DP in my carb box.  You cannot fit the Lemans float bowl in there, only standard Holley type.  The routing of the fuel lines is tight so I had so I had some SS custom lines made from Classic Tubes.  You can get more information rom Paradise Wheels. 8)

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 08:38:50 PM »
I had to use 2 90 degree brass fittings going to a T fitting out the box to the fuel supply. Had to do lot of massaging to the fittings to get them to fit in the box. No grinding to the bonnet or carb. Had small issue on drivers side throttle linkage. It hit the bottom of the box and had to get trimmed to fit. Carb was from Craig C at Paradise. One of his beautiful billet VR4 Paxton units with correct Cobra cast air box.
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 09:48:51 PM »
I have a Holley 650 DP in my carb box.  You cannot fit the Lemans float bowl in there, only standard Holley type.  The routing of the fuel lines is tight so I had so I had some SS custom lines made from Classic Tubes.  You can get more information rom Paradise Wheels. 8)
I suspect the side hinge float bowls would work without any massage work. I can see where the center float fuel inlets would be a problem. I don't know if the single inlet and small transfer tube would support the fuel needs though.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 10:01:15 PM »
I think it makes the most sense to follow what Craig Conely suggests given his knowledge and back ground. They don't call him Mr. Paxton for no reason. Speculation on what might fit will  fit etc. is a waste of time IMO. That is unless you think you have something to offer that Craig has not already thought of or tried.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 10:11:16 PM »
+1
RARE  Signature Delete

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2022, 11:54:21 PM »
+2     

Not sure if Craig has every dealt with an EFI carb in the box, however.  Would be interesting if he did.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 09:46:13 AM »
I think it makes the most sense to follow what Craig Conely suggests given his knowledge and back ground. They don't call him Mr. Paxton for no reason. Speculation on what might fit will  fit etc. is a waste of time IMO. That is unless you think you have something to offer that Craig has not already thought of or tried.

Agreed but there are those who want to reinvent the wheel.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 04:41:17 PM »
  Today I sent the question to Paradise Wheels.  We'll see what they say.
     The Holley Sniper set up has two different throttle bodies.  The 1st looks like a (slightly) GM quadrajet - squarish.  The width is 8 1/2 inches.
    The 2nd Holley throttle body looks like the familiar Holley carb (4150) so the length would be good to know.  Holley's tech line said that one is 10" long.