Author Topic: GT40 MkII, any help for the Museum?  (Read 3262 times)

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
GT40 MkII, any help for the Museum?
« on: July 24, 2022, 01:08:29 PM »
The Simeone Museum's MkII was out on the back lot for a demonstration day yesterday - the "Sports Car Championship 1965 – Ford vs. Ferrari" event was packed.
It seemed like Kevin (Museum curator) was tip-toeing around a bit easier than usual - he's been known to hang the tail out with that car... and I once saw him go a full 180 :o with it.
After the drive yesterday, Kevin said something about needing tires... later we got a look at why:

Would anyone on here know how to help them get appropriate tires for this historic piece? (I'd bet that they try not to spend big except when absolutely necessary).

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
Re: GT40 MkII, any help for the Museum?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 04:24:34 PM »
For that Goodyear Blue Streak 5.75 x 12.00 - 15 Sports Car Special. I’d start with Roger Krause in Hayward and or Vintage Engineering in Redwood City. Those guys supply a number of private folks who run vintage Can Am. Speaking of which those vendors that supply all those guys will be at Laguna Seca in the paddock against the back fence (usual spot) August 20-21st vintage races. You might find some worn ones too if it’s just for display.

Cheers,
~Earl J

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 11:00:00 PM »
^^^ thanks Earl - I'll pass that along to the Museum guys.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

CSX 4133

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 06:04:07 AM »

Another option would be SASCO Sports, they are an East Coast Distributor so shipping would be cheaper.

https://sascosports.com/tires.asp

CSX2259

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »

SFM5S000

• SAAC Member
  • California Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2022, 04:37:59 PM »
^^^ thanks Earl - I'll pass that along to the Museum guys.

I didn’t realize you were on the east coast. PA, duh on my part. These same guys will/should be running at Watkins Glen vintage races second (2nd) weekend this September. Check the race calendar.
That would be suggestion for new/used single tire.

Cheers
~E

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2022, 07:36:31 PM »
I have dozens of NOS Goodyear tires. Not sure if I have that exact size or not but I don't remember that particular size. They would probably have to switch to a different size that I have in order to get a matched set. The tires that I have are from the late sixties to late seventies time frame. I will post a few pictures that I have on my phone. The Cobra experience museum has a GT40 J car that has some horrible looking Hoosier tires on it and I told Drew Serb to come and get some Goodyears for it to make it look more correct but haven't heard back from him. I only live about 25 minutes away from the museum.

Roy
If it starts it's streetable.
Overkill is just enough.

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 07:50:41 PM »
More pics

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 10:00:02 PM »
Thanks Roy and CSX2259 👍👍
I will pass the info along to the Museum.... It would sure be great to have Kevin back to hittin' that 427 a little harder.

daltondavid

• SAAC Member
  • 2005 FORD GT #991
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 05:16:55 PM »
The Simeone Museum's MkII was out on the back lot for a demonstration day yesterday - the "Sports Car Championship 1965 – Ford vs. Ferrari" event was packed.
It seemed like Kevin (Museum curator) was tip-toeing around a bit easier than usual - he's been known to hang the tail out with that car... and I once saw him go a full 180 :o with it.
After the drive yesterday, Kevin said something about needing tires... later we got a look at why:

Would anyone on here know how to help them get appropriate tires for this historic piece? (I'd bet that they try not to spend big except when absolutely necessary).
YIKKKKKKKEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Founding father of SAACFORUM.COM

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 12:29:36 AM »
I tried to help them out with tires but never heard from them.

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 01:08:02 PM »
I tried to help them out with tires but never heard from them.       Roy

Roy - I did pass the info along to the Museum back in July... my best guess is that the Board and staff are still trying to get their footing after Dr Simeone's passing. The actual "staff" is only a few people, and they have their hands full.
Next time I'm at the Museum, I'll try to see if there is another way to get some info to match up their need with what you have. Thanks again.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2022, 10:09:55 PM »
Roy - wow, this has taken longer than I thought to get any real info... I guess running a museum with various events and 80+ cars can keep the staff hopping?
... but I finally connected with one of "insider" volunteers - who helps Kevin quite a lot.
The current tires are indeed 5.75/12-15w Goodyear Blue Streak (as Earl noted). Photos below.
Kevin STRONGLY prefers to have the car shod with period correct rubber.
Please let me know what you have - or would suggest - and I'll continue as the middle man to try to get something going.
Thanks in advance. Mark

TA Coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2022, 06:22:53 AM »
 I would be very surprised if they are running the same size tire front and rear. I  would need sizes to be like the pictures I posted. Maybe someone can decipher the size posted? What size wheels are on the car?

Roy
Overkill is just enough.

mark p

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2022, 10:09:05 AM »
I would be very surprised if they are running the same size tire front and rear. I  would need sizes to be like the pictures I posted. Maybe someone can decipher the size posted? What size wheels are on the car?
Roy

I sent the questions back to Kenny (Museum Volunteer)... will keep at this. Thanks for the help
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 03:44:28 PM by mark p »