News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Hurst shifter for use in a 69 b302

Started by shlb69, July 25, 2022, 08:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shlb69

Need a hurst shifter that will work on a 69 b302. 2174257748

shelbydoug

They all will. The difference between the Ford installation and the Hurst kit is the shift rods.
Ford has it's own rods and uses unique fulcrums.

Ford also does not use the stop bolts but the holes for them are there.

There is no advantage to using the Ford set up. Parts are unique to it, scarce and expensive.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shlb69

427heaven

Can someone post a picture or an explanation of what to look for on these Hurst shifters?

shelbydoug

It is a standard Competition Plus shifter. The handle is the early type which is integral to the shifter, not bolted on like the later units.

The travel/stop bolts are not installed by Ford but the holes for them are punched but not threaded and can easily be added. I don't see any reason originally not to have them included except for possibly cost but how much could two bolts have cost in 1969? That I don't get unless the adjustment was deemed too technical for the assembly line back then but I don't believe that either?

The main difference is that they use Ford shift rods and have special adapters to mount to the Hurst shifter levers which are unique to the set up.

The Ford shifter mechanisms use the same type of rods but use the Ford "fulcrums" which aren't as heft and are wimpier. The special fulcrums for this hybrid set up are stronger.

The Ford rods have Ford engineering numbers as do the levers. Typically the rods can be found for around $100 each used after an extensive search.

The 428cj/scj and the B9 use the same set up with the possible exception of a a different Ford 3/4 rod. To me they are the same shifters.

The Hurst rods are straighter and offer different adjusting design. I actually like the Ford version better although I never raced either set up so don't know which one is more race worthy due to wear and tear at the track?

Here is a picture of the shifter, rods and levers on my 428 transmission. I believe that Ford used a different 3/4 rod on the B3 set up. Why I don't know. Dimensions to all connection points are the same.

The Ford installation also uses a Ford number mounting plate rather then the Hurst supplied mounting plate.

The shifter is originally silver cad plated. Mine as well as the rods are painted black for my appearance and maintenance reasons.

I have added the stop bolts and modified the shift lever to accept a stock Ford shift lever as a bolt on. That shifter originally had the integral HURST chrome lever but THAT is an original B2 shifter. Uses the original Ford back up switch and mounting grommet.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

Thanks Doug..... Next question, what is an approximate price for the Ford version VS the Hurst version complete with shift rods etc.

shelbydoug

Look on ebay for an idea on used for versions.

I have seen just the shifter from $500 to $800 and the rods $300 to $500.

You can go to Summit and look up a current new listing.

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me you got the entire Ford set up for $750. Do I think it is worth it? No but if you are building a numbers correct B2, B9 or a 428 cj then you gotta' have what you gotta; have!

I think the Hurst was an option on other 70's Ford cars also. I don't think the 69 B2 had the option yet.

For function go current aftermarket.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

shelbymann1970

Quote from: 427heaven on August 02, 2022, 01:49:37 PM
Thanks Doug..... Next question, what is an approximate price for the Ford version VS the Hurst version complete with shift rods etc.
last summer I bought a bunch of parts off a guy and the shifter assy fully restored from Bill Healey including the chrome handle and adaptor plate for an FE(done in mid 2000s) was 650.00 for the 1969 Ford shifter. I made the B9 and FE 69 adaptor plates in the early 90s and still have some left.  in 1969 Ford didn't use a Hurst shifter so the OP it shouldn't matter if a Ford unit or not. I believe I have a Ford unit put away only because it has the bracket on the back for the reverse lights(assuming a Hurst generic does not) with Ford Hurst rods. Here is a quick search for one off of Ebay. Don't know if going price or not. https://www.ebay.com/p/1949303675
This one with the bracket on the back looks like my spare Hurst https://www.ebay.com/itm/275007639442?hash=item4007bb8f92:g:1n4AAOSwMWFhXu3b
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Special Ed

We just took a nice hurst shifter setup out of a 69 boss and installed the ford stock shifter since car is going back concours correct.  Its at nates shop call him if anybody wants it .

brandosaac

In 69 Ford went away from the standard 64-68 style shifter assembly and re designed the shifter for 69. It was sort of a mistake because the 69 shifters always had problems , never worked right and usually broke.
So in 1970 and later Ford went with Hurst as original equipment.

I have an original 70 shifter assembly that id part with for $1100.
This shifter  would have come on any 1970 Mustang with 4 speed toploader including Mach 1 , Boss 302 or Shelby GT350 , but will bolt up and work on any Mustang toploader where the shifter mount is at the end of the C4DR ... or C4ZR ...   tail.

This shifter is all original except the T handle up top is aftermarket.
Many more pics avail upon request

If you happen to need a rebuilt toploader for 69 or 70 B302 I can help as well

shelbymann1970

Quote from: brandosaac on August 03, 2022, 02:20:53 PM
In 69 Ford went away from the standard 64-68 style shifter assembly and re designed the shifter for 69. It was sort of a mistake because the 69 shifters always had problems , never worked right and usually broke.
So in 1970 and later Ford went with Hurst as original equipment.

I have an original 70 shifter assembly that id part with for $1100.
This shifter  would have come on any 1970 Mustang with 4 speed toploader including Mach 1 , Boss 302 or Shelby GT350 , but will bolt up and work on any Mustang toploader where the shifter mount is at the end of the C4DR ... or C4ZR ...   tail.

This shifter is all original except the T handle up top is aftermarket.
Many more pics avail upon request

If you happen to need a rebuilt toploader for 69 or 70 B302 I can help as well
Thanks for the pic. It looks exactly like my "70" shifter I got put away. I got a Hurst with a factory 70 T-handle on it in my 69 SCJ Mach1 but never looked closely under the car to see if Ford or generic. 1969 shifter I have in my 70 GT350 and zero problems unless you want to call the detent spring(s) a breaking problem(replaced mine when I refurbished it). Really nothing else to break on them. They just don't shift like a Hurst. I've used mine with no problems for 37 years now.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)