Author Topic: is this a/c compressor original to my KR?  (Read 1972 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: is this a/c compressor original to my KR?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 04:57:40 PM »
The original donut electro magnet type clutch's that I have seen on Shelby's were typically plated zinc silver like the field coil originally.

My research shows that the donut electro magnet style clutch is Pitts manufactured. Am not aware that they are serviced in the aftermarket.
Not much to go wrong with them.  Classic auto air or whatever they are calling themselves or rebuild division used to rebuild them but you had to ask special to have them plated zinc silver. They painted them black otherwise. I have had a few plated locally but it has been years. I have been lucky find finding NOS units.

I got the impression that the clutch assembly might have been originally yellow zinc cad.

Mine had some yellow highlights on it in certain areas.

I've heard that yellow cad will "wash off" leaving the silver only?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 09:16:01 PM »
The original donut electro magnet type clutch's that I have seen on Shelby's were typically plated zinc silver like the field coil originally.

My research shows that the donut electro magnet style clutch is Pitts manufactured. Am not aware that they are serviced in the aftermarket.
Not much to go wrong with them.  Classic auto air or whatever they are calling themselves or rebuild division used to rebuild them but you had to ask special to have them plated zinc silver. They painted them black otherwise. I have had a few plated locally but it has been years. I have been lucky find finding NOS units.

I got the impression that the clutch assembly might have been originally yellow zinc cad.

The only thing that is gold in this case is the bolt and washer holding the clutch to the shaft of compressor and maybe the bolts holding the field coil to the
 Compressor. The clutch and field coil are silver.

Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 06:23:54 AM »
There is also a detail that most people that get them plated overlook and it affects the function. The contact areas where the hub gets pulled into the plate by the magnet is machine bear steel for a better contact and holding. If left plated they tend not to hold as well when the magnet kicks on.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 07:59:10 AM »

The only thing that is gold in this case is the bolt and washer holding the clutch to the shaft of compressor and maybe the bolts holding the field coil to the
 Compressor. The clutch and field coil are silver.

I obviously can't prove what was originally on the car on the assembly line since I wasn't there.

I am just pointing out what I saw on the car when I got it that I think was original to it so it isn't an argument by me or an attempt to disrupt the discussion.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Jack4159

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 10:55:48 AM »
Thanks for your input everyone, always helpful and appreciated.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »
Posted for TLEA

« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 03:10:22 PM by Coralsnake »

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 03:09:47 PM »

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 03:13:34 PM »
Thanks Pete, I'm too stupid to post pictures. This is an assembly line BB clutch box dated june 68. Notice zinc plating, phosphate rivets and bare steel in clutch contact area