News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Tachometer

Started by Mark_SOCAL, August 28, 2022, 08:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_SOCAL

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the pedigree of the cobra 9K tach contained in the attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Mark_SOCAL on August 28, 2022, 08:33:38 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to understand the pedigree of the cobra 9K tach contained in the attached. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark
It looks like a poor reproduction of the original.  Just about every detail is different then want came the tach's used on the cars from the factory..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bill Collins

Here is a photo you may find helpful - it appeared on SAAC Forum 1.0 some time ago (I think prior to the crash). I do not recall who posted it, but I do not want to take credit for someone else's work.

These depict the evolution of the face details on Cobra 9000 RPM tachs installed into '66 GT350's, plus a view of the over the counter or service and Cougar versions. I call particular attention to the shape of the white needle - original production versions have a "cricket bat" shape, replacements and repros have a tapered point needle.

Another way to identify an original is to look at the back of the housing. Originals were produced by Faria, which typically placed a purple ink stamp on the back with their manufacturing ID plus a production date. These tachs were also stamped "8 CYL" in large type. There was an accessory 6 cyl version, but these usually have a 6000 RPM range on the face.

Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

6s1640

Hi Bill,

That is my photo composite of the four tachometers.  I am glad to share.

If I can find, I will post a higher resolution image.

Thanks

Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bill Collins on August 29, 2022, 02:12:48 PM
Here is a photo you may find helpful - it appeared on SAAC Forum 1.0 some time ago (I think prior to the crash). I do not recall who posted it, but I do not want to take credit for someone else's work.

These depict the evolution of the face details on Cobra 9000 RPM tachs installed into '66 GT350's, plus a view of the over the counter or service and Cougar versions. I call particular attention to the shape of the white needle - original production versions have a "cricket bat" shape, replacements and repros have a tapered point needle.

Another way to identify an original is to look at the back of the housing. Originals were produced by Faria, which typically placed a purple ink stamp on the back with their manufacturing ID plus a production date. These tachs were also stamped "8 CYL" in large type. There was an accessory 6 cyl version, but these usually have a 6000 RPM range on the face.
As good today as it was then. Thanks for posting the photo again Bill and also a thanks Cory for the doing the picture in the first place.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

6s1640

Miracle, I found it relativly quick.

Cory

Bill Collins

Hi Cory,
Thanks for the original post and follow up. The photo I posted was a jfif file which is likely why it wouldn't open. I converted it to jpeg to repost but I see you beat me to it!  :)
Bill
Enthusiast since 1965, SAAC charter member since 1975 and Regional Rep since 1985, GT350 Owner since 1971, 289 Cobra owner 1979-2016, Ford GT owner 2006 - 2017

427hunter

Anyone know about what number car the top logo tach went away ?
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

J_Speegle

Quote from: 427hunter on August 29, 2022, 07:34:51 PM

Change from top to bottom location I would put it in the very high 600's. Remember not all cars were finished in sequential (Shelby VIN) order and there are allot of replacement ones out there due to issues or thief
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

427hunter

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 29, 2022, 11:02:36 PM

Change from top to bottom location I would put it in the very high 600's. Remember not all cars were finished in sequential (Shelby VIN) order and there are allot of replacement ones out there due to issues or thief

interesting...
"You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

Inigo Montoya

"This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid"

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

6s1640

Quote from: J_Speegle on August 29, 2022, 11:02:36 PM

Change from top to bottom location I would put it in the very high 600's. Remember not all cars were finished in sequential (Shelby VIN) order and there are allot of replacement ones out there due to issues or thief (theft).

It seams there are many of these tach's offered for sale with cut wires.  Makes you wonder if these were stolen back in the day.  It would be much easier to cut wires than try to get under the dash and unplug, especially if you are in a hurry.

Cory

Bill Collins

Quote from: 6s1640 on August 30, 2022, 03:02:19 AM
It seems there are many of these tach's offered for sale with cut wires.  Makes you wonder if these were stolen back in the day.  It would be much easier to cut wires than try to get under the dash and unplug, especially if you are in a hurry.

Cory

In my literature collection I have several dealer work orders for '66 GT350H's that were being returned post lease from Hertz for refurbishment prior to being offered for sale. The most common notation on these was missing tachometers and seat belts.