News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hertz paint codes

Started by hertzz350, July 28, 2022, 12:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertzz350

Im looking for the correct paint codes for the raven black and the gold for the stripes for my Hertz car 6s689. The car will be painted at the end of august and put back on the road for the first time in 51 years. Thank you.
current owner of 6s689
Previous owner of 6s1855 ,6s1297,6s731

papa scoops

the black was standard ford raven black, also used by many other manufactures, single stage, old school. stripes, have a paint shop color map them for something close. stripes varied in color somewhat. branda used to sell the gold powder to mix with clear, but not sure if they still do. expensive way to do stripes, doubt factory did that process as they took the cheap way out. for originality use only single stage paint. i know a lot of people will want you to clear coat, but experts can tell the differance. scoops

hertzz350

Thank you. Branda did at one point sell the gold dust powder but no more. Several people have said to use the color "Inca Gold". Just wondering what other people with hertz cars have used recently.
current owner of 6s689

98SVT - was 06GT

The problem you run into is the old enamel paint is no longer available. They used normal 66 Mustang black. There is an article in one of the old SAAC magazines on how to mix up the proper gold stripe paint - it is just gold powder mixed with clear. Someone probably has it scanned. There is also a chart for the stripe dimensions that I think Jeff Burgy drew many years ago.
They are sending the OVC R Models to Nevada to have them painted since CA is all water based paint now. Of course that's only for businesses you can still buy solvent based paint to apply in the privacy of your own garage.

Maybe try this alternative:
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/product/sherwin-williams-exact-match-oe-classic-series-shelby-mustang-hertz-gold-pccl28/sherwin-williams-automotive-paint
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

hertzz350

Thank you all for your suggestions.
current owner of 6s689

Bob Gaines

Sometimes moisture would migrate through the clear causing particles of the bronze powder to oxidize causing a very undesirable effect.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

deathsled

Not all patina is desirable given that.
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

papa scoops

we have a local hertz car, blue/ gold, that i painted almost 40 years ago, still looks great, used branda powder. scoops