News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Spare tire mounting plate/disc

Started by 6s1640, July 28, 2022, 03:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s1640

Hi all,

Can someone advise on the correct spare tire mounting plate/disc for either 10 spoke or Magnum 500 wheel.  I was under the impression it is the small disc maybe without the three tabs.  The attached image shows the smaller disc with the three tabs bent out.
Thanks
Cory

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 6s1640 on July 28, 2022, 03:10:57 PM
Hi all,

Can someone advise on the correct spare tire mounting plate/disc for either 10 spoke or Magnum 500 wheel.  I was under the impression it is the small disc maybe without the three tabs.  The attached image shows the smaller disc with the three tabs bent out.
Thanks
Cory
The 66 Shelby wheels typically use the the smaller deluxe wheel plate.They have tabs that can be bent down  to index better in the opening.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

mickmate

Does the right rear inner fender have an indent to accommodate the spare tire mounting? It looks like I have one in this car car but it has been hammered back out.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mickmate on December 22, 2022, 09:53:31 AM
Does the right rear inner fender have an indent to accommodate the spare tire mounting? It looks like I have one in this car car but it has been hammered back out.
The indent was not present on early 66 cars .it was a early /late transition.  The transition to the indent wheelhouse took place approximately sometime after the first of the year 1966.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

kram350

I thought I read somewhere the mounting disc was solid, no tabs? Maybe that was '65?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: kram350 on December 22, 2022, 09:55:41 PM
I thought I read somewhere the mounting disc was solid, no tabs? Maybe that was '65?
Maybe thinking of steel wheel style?

mickmate

The car here has the larger spare hold-down disc for the Magnum 500's with no holes in it. That inner fender indent for the spare is factory but someone with a hammer has pounded the indent out.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: mickmate on December 23, 2022, 02:13:31 PM
The car here has the larger spare hold-down disc for the Magnum 500's with no holes in it. That inner fender indent for the spare is factory but someone with a hammer has pounded the indent out.
The large diameter disc is for steel wheels because of the larger diameter of the steel wheel center. That is probably why the centering tabs were pounded down otherwise it would not fit the smaller center of the magnum. The smaller disc is for the deluxe wheels/magnums. The larger one will work but just that it is not the one designed for the magnums. There is a exact repro of ether hold down available from ether NPD or Virginia Classic.