Author Topic: 68 date coded Carlite windshields  (Read 2371 times)

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
68 date coded Carlite windshields
« on: August 01, 2022, 11:04:02 AM »
Anyone have a recommendation on best 68 date coded Carlite tinted windshield supplier? I've seen ECS Automotive Concepts mentioned.

I want to be sure that the windshield is a Carlite and that the tinted with blue band is a concourse approved windshield.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp 

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 68 date coded Carlite windshields
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 11:45:10 AM »
I don't think you're going to get a date coded Carlite. Most of the date coded glass is not being sourced for overseas companies.

I havent heard of anyone grinding down the script and redoing "Carlite" glass, but I guess its possible

There is no such thing as "concours approved" parts

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 12:59:37 PM »
I guess maybe a better question is what is the best accepted replacement glass that looks correct on the tint and shade band. I believe it is possible to acid etch the date code or even media blast with a stencil?

The Safelite glass has quite a bit of waviness and distortion from my experience and is typically made in China with a thinner laminate. The weight of the Safelite windshields is significantly lighter. Good for racecars!

NPD advertises Carlite with white Carlite script logo. Just want to get the best replacement available, as I have no desire to have to do another windshield in the future.

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 01:01:17 PM »
Do you have AC?

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 02:26:02 PM »
Yes. My car has A/C and the windshield does have a shade band at the top but does not appear to be as dark as the newer windshields. Not sure if ou can see the shade band in the attached photo?

My original windshield looks OK, but early morning sun low on the horizon makes the scratches and pits very hard to see out of.

Don
gt350bp

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 02:31:57 PM »
If its not too bad, there are people who have buffed them out

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 03:11:21 PM »
The windshield is too bad to polish as many of the scratches and small chips can be felt with your thumbnail. I'm going to polish my rear glass when I remove it to replace the rear gasket and fix / polish the rear window trim. It should polish up nice as there are only a few scratches that can barely be felt with a thumbnail.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 03:59:30 PM »
Better photo of the windshield tint band. Looks more like a gray tint than the blue tint on new windshields?

Don
gt350bp

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 05:37:20 PM »
The band usually fades to a brownish/yellowish hue on originals.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 05:58:36 PM »
Charles,

Yes, that is a pretty good description of the color on the original shade band. Is the blue tint shade band the best / only option for a new tinted windshield?

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 06:17:53 PM »
ECS will make a brand new windshield for you with the Carlite logo and the date code of your choice. I just received another one. Nice quality. They are made in England so it takes 4 - 6 weeks. Also your choice of tinted / banded or not. And the different tint colors are right for the various years.

It cost me around $450 for the one I installed yesterday. They predicted 4 - 6 weeks, it came in 4 weeks.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 06:55:50 PM »
Charles,

Yes, that is a pretty good description of the color on the original shade band. Is the blue tint shade band the best / only option for a new tinted windshield?

The later Carlite replacement only came with the blue band.  Not sure what the repro looks like that ECS has, I would suspect the same.

In regards to earlier discussion regarding buffing off the etchings, this can be done without too much trouble.  Getting correct stencils is becoming more difficult though, from what I understand, ECS will not sell them.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 09:23:52 PM »
I would guess Pilkington Glass if coming from England with correct Carlite script for a 68 on the ECS windshields. I'm going to call them tomorrow and discuss.

Is the tinted glass and shade band on the glass you just installed something you would recommend? Good fit and no distortion?

Thank you for your input.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 12:19:38 PM »
Ordered a date coded windshield with Carlite white script from ECS and was needed some help / suggestions. I was easily able to remove the upper and side windshield trim, but the lower trim is fighting me. Any suggestions? Do I need to cut the windshield gasket to get access to the clips? So far unable to see or feel the clips with the trim tool.

Don
gt350bp

Royce Peterson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 09:53:01 PM »
The lower trim simply pulls forward. I don't use any special tool except my hands. Throw the clips in the trash and buy new ones. Have the original trim cleaned to remove all the butyl rubber and then polished so you can re - use it.
1968 Cougar XR-7 GT-E 427 Side Oiler C6 3.50 Detroit Locker
1968 1/2 Cougar XR-7 428CJ Ram Air C6 3.91 Traction Lock