News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

68 date coded Carlite windshields

Started by gt350bp, August 01, 2022, 11:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gt350bp

Well, mine did not want to cooperate, so I ended up having to cut the lower windshield gasket to access the clips and sealant. I cut the gasket about 1" up both sides and along the bottom edge with a Linoleum knife. I pulled the exterior portion of the lower windshield gasket out from under the trim and know the clips were easily seen and accessible with the trim tool. Even with the access, the clips were holding tight, but was finally able to get a couple to release and the trim was able to be slid out. Probably because the windshield was original and the gasket and sealant was hardened, the removal was more difficult. I have all new NOS moldings and clips that I had bought 40+ years ago and will have them polished to match the rear moldings that are being straightened and polished. Once the windshield and rear glass is removed, will clean up the hidden areas and shoot the hidden areas and touchup the chips.

ECS current lead time is running 4-8 weeks for the windshield and the Carlite script and date coding. Price for the tinted banded windshield and correct script and date code was $400. The freight and crate is the killer at $180.

Don
gt350bp

gt350bp

Finally got notification that my date coded windshield has shipped. Does anyone have a recommended sealant for inside the gasket and around the perimeter of the gasket after installed?

Thank you.

Don
gt350bp

CharlesTurner

Quote from: gt350bp on November 12, 2022, 09:53:49 AM
Finally got notification that my date coded windshield has shipped. Does anyone have a recommended sealant for inside the gasket and around the perimeter of the gasket after installed?

3M Bedding & Glazing compound, comes in a caulk tube.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

gt350bp

gt350bp

Update on the ECS Carlite script dated coded windshield i ordered. Installed it Thursday and only difference from the original is the blue shade band and the thickness. Original windshield is 1/4" thick and new windshields are 3/16". I believe the windshield used are made in Thailand per the code that is hidden by the gasket. No distortion like some of the Chinese made windshields. Overall happy with the product.

Don
gt350bp