Author Topic: Power steering problem.  (Read 1426 times)

pied viper 041

• View Profile
Power steering problem.
« on: August 03, 2022, 09:40:05 AM »
  I have a crazy power steering problem. It started with power steering only working in one direction.    I rebuilt my slave cylinder did not do any good. still one direction only so I then rebuilt my control valve got all of the air out of system. Now when I start the engine the steering wheel goes to the left real fast, the car is on jack stands also I did a little work on steering box just grease and cleaning I turned my steering wheel a few times when steering was not hooked up do you think that might be my problem? Any opinions.  Thanks   James

davez

• View Profile
Re: Power steering problem.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 10:17:58 AM »
Check and make sure you didn't cross the lines over and hook up incorrectly. Don't remember but the threads may be the same and easy to mix up

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 10:30:38 AM »
Hoses crossed on control valve.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »
Yep your hoses are crossed

pied viper 041

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 04:19:28 PM »
Thanks friends I tried switching the hoses on control valve it did not help much they looked out of place they are frozen they do not move much not flexing. I am ordering new ones today for control valve the other ones are fine. the old ones on c/v came with car. Thanks again James

Kent

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 04:25:05 PM »
This occurs sometimes when rebuilding the power steering valves and it was not correct done.
SAAC Member from Germany and Owner of a unrestored 1967 Shelby GT500, 1968 1/2 Cobra Jetīs and some nice Mustang Fastbackīs 67/68

kjspeed

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 05:24:15 PM »
This reminds me of a lesson I learned the hard way on my first car - a 67 Mustang fastback 289 auto. I replaced the power steering control valve but didn't mark each hose when I disconnected them. This car also had one of those tiny 10" three spoke aftermarket steering wheels. After putting in the new control valve I hopped into the car while it was still on blocks (cinder blocks because I was an idiot!) and as soon as the engine fired that steering wheel spun at about 10,000 RPM to the left until the wheels were in full lock but not before whacking the ever lovin' crap out of my left thumb since my left hand was holding on to the wheel as I was cranking it.

Hard lesson learned and I've never made that mistake again in the almost 50 years since.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 06:04:53 PM »
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 06:27:03 PM »
This reminds me of a lesson I learned the hard way on my first car - a 67 Mustang fastback 289 auto. I replaced the power steering control valve but didn't mark each hose when I disconnected them. This car also had one of those tiny 10" three spoke aftermarket steering wheels. After putting in the new control valve I hopped into the car while it was still on blocks (cinder blocks because I was an idiot!) and as soon as the engine fired that steering wheel spun at about 10,000 RPM to the left until the wheels were in full lock but not before whacking the ever lovin' crap out of my left thumb since my left hand was holding on to the wheel as I was cranking it.

Hard lesson learned and I've never made that mistake again in the almost 50 years since.
   Learned that when I started in the business , old guys told me Never put your arm through the steering wheel and attempt to start the car after a repair as crossed hoses will brake bones.

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 06:35:07 PM »
Thanks friends I tried switching the hoses on control valve it did not help much they looked out of place they are frozen they do not move much not flexing. I am ordering new ones today for control valve the other ones are fine. the old ones on c/v came with car. Thanks again James
In that case sounds like the control valve may be the culprit ( did this problem just start ??? )