Author Topic: What is the best shock replacement for my 69 GT500 ?  (Read 2067 times)

What is the best shock replacement for my 69 GT500 ?
« on: August 04, 2022, 10:52:23 PM »
The research I have done about replacement shocks for my 1969 GT500 (Automatic) comes up with KYB or Koni, but I never see an actual part number.

Some Shelby's have small blocks and some have big blocks, did they not get different shocks ?

I still have the original shocks on my car and they are White, but that does not really matter, because I can always paint a new set of shocks the correct color.

Questions:
Does anyone have the correct part#s and/or website for a good set of replacement shocks for my GT500 Drag Pack 69 Automatic ?
Any preferences of KYB or Koni or Gabriel ?
Part #s ?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mike

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best shock replacement for my 69 GT500 ?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 11:15:56 PM »
The research I have done about replacement shocks for my 1969 GT500 (Automatic) comes up with KYB or Koni, but I never see an actual part number.

Some Shelby's have small blocks and some have big blocks, did they not get different shocks ?

I still have the original shocks on my car and they are White, but that does not really matter, because I can always paint a new set of shocks the correct color.

Questions:
Does anyone have the correct part#s and/or website for a good set of replacement shocks for my GT500 Drag Pack 69 Automatic ?
Part #s ?

Mike
    There are good driver replacements and there are replacements that look like original. The KYB or Koni driver replacements do not look even close to replacement. This is not a simple or easy problem . The original shocks if your car has the white C9ZX C are very rare and almost impossible to replace . They can be rebuilt for about 300.00 a shock.  In your case the BB auto and all GT350 regardless of trans got the same front and rear shocks. A BB 4 speed got the C9ZX B marked shock. It depends on what you expectations are and how close to original you want to be.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 11:48:19 PM »

Yes you can but depending on what you choose as a replacements the difference will be visible to the experienced viewer fro at least ten feet away or further depending on which ones you choose.  For the fronts the KYB have a shape to the top mount that is very different than just about every other shock. Out of the box the standard replacements you have mentioned will lack the adjustment washer that is painted white (in your example) and very visible just under the top mounting of the front shock.

These as well as other details are all choices you have to make depending on your planned usage and if your going to claim you restored the car or something else.  Good thing is that they are bolt on parts that can be changed at a later date. But at a later date the rest of the car may be showing some use and new parts may stand out more
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 11:51:09 PM »

Questions:
Part #s ?

Mike
    There are good driver replacements and there are replacements that look like original. The KYB or Koni driver replacements do not look even close to replacement. This is not a simple or easy problem . The original shocks if your car has the white C9ZX C are very rare and almost impossible to replace . They can be rebuilt for about 300.00 a shock.  In your case the BB auto and all GT350 regardless of trans got the same front and rear shocks. A BB 4 speed got the C9ZX B marked shock. It depends on what you expectations are and how close to original you want to be.

Thanks Bob,
Nothing beats the original if they can be rebuilt.
Who do I contact for a rebuild service ?

Mike
Denison, Tx

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 12:39:45 AM »
Yes,Dan's the man. He lives about 10 miles from me.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SCJSTU

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 08:45:06 AM »
I just got a set of reproductions from Dan........had to wait about 14 months.....he only works a couple days a week now.

don't know if rebuild service is quicker......

I will be selling the Koni's off my GT350 if you are interested....they are newer type
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible 4 speed/ AC
Built Jan 1969 Red/Black

1967 S-Code 4 spd Black/Parchment
2004 Mustang Mach 1 Azure Blue
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi
1963 Falcon Ranchero
1961 Econoline PU bagged
1961 Falcon 2 door wagon
1970 Challenger R/T vert 4 speed
1970 Chevy Blazer 2WD custom

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 12:02:23 PM »
For a driver/mild performance car, go with KYBs. You will be amazed how nice it rides and handles.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

cob428

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 01:53:24 PM »
Dan did mine and did a phenomenal job..

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 03:10:38 PM »
Street car ? get the firmest KYBs,  go with neoprene bushings all around and radial tires.

It will handle 100% better
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 06:25:15 PM »
I contacted Dan and his pricing was reasonable but he said he's 8-12 months out on delivery, so that makes my decision easy:
I'll look for a good set of KYBs and enjoy them while my "born with" set is being rebuilt.

No rush...

Question: Does the GT500 use the same shocks as the regular Mustang ?  I see alot of sites out there selling the same shocks for Mustangs and claiming they fit the GT500.  I just want to be sure....

Thanks to all~

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 06:29:52 PM »
Question: Does the GT500 use the same shocks as the regular Mustang ?

For your application no

Can you confirm please when the car was built/finished
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 06:36:51 PM by J_Speegle »

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 06:32:18 PM »
I contacted Dan and his pricing was reasonable but he said he's 8-12 months out on delivery, so that makes my decision easy:
I'll look for a good set of KYBs and enjoy them while my "born with" set is being rebuilt.

No rush...

Question: Does the GT500 use the same shocks as the regular Mustang ?  I see alot of sites out there selling the same shocks for Mustangs and claiming they fit the GT500.  I just want to be sure....

Thanks to all~

Yes mustang schocks,  the rear maybe different auto. vs manual would be staggered for manual
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 06:35:22 PM »

No rush...

Thanks to all~

Yes mustang schocks,  the rear maybe different auto. vs manual would be staggered for manual

Thanks ~

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 06:40:11 PM »
All adjustable made by Gabriel for you car. Different shocks and finishes from Mustang though they will "fit"

Here is Pete's page to confirm the type, finishes and details if that would help

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/69suspension
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 09:50:55 PM by J_Speegle »