Author Topic: Jim Farley's vision for killing Ford  (Read 3141 times)

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Farley's vision for killing Ford
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 11:31:35 AM »
This is why Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Mercury brands are no more. It won't be long when Lincoln is gone too. Poor Woke Ford Motor Company...sorry, I don't care anymore. I wont be buying ANY new car ever again....or have since my 2005 Mustang GT.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1970 GT-500--#3129--Grabber Orange.
Current lifelong projects:
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 12:21:08 PM »
So what will Ford do as far as service for the cars ? Convert all the dealers to service centers  ::)  Might be back to our old cars like it is in Cuba  8)

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2022, 12:47:41 PM »
So what will Ford do as far as service for the cars ? Convert all the dealers to service centers  ::)  Might be back to our old cars like it is in Cuba  8)

No, the smart import brands are kicking our butts...again. Look around, 7 out of 10 are imports. Kia, Hyundai, Honda and Toyota. I will never buy one, yet many people are...
And Im quite confidant those brands treat their customers better then our domestics do...
Ford and GM...WAKE UP!!!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1969 Mustang Fastback/FOX chassis, 5 speed, 4 wheel discs, with a modern Can-Am 494 (Boss 429), Kaase heads, intake with a 1425 cfm 'B' Autolite Inline carb, ala Trans-Am style
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 01:02:00 PM »
They would have to open service centers owned by them and pay people good money , I don't think that will be the case. Ford is making harder and harder to repair their screw ups, they don't offer decent technical support , they wan't you to submit pictures or videos in order to get approval , monitor your activity when you use their diagnostic equipment  and more,  if you don't follow their steps they will decline the claim. You can spend 2 hours trying to reprogram their Sync system but they will only pay 18 minutes for that job , flat rate pay system needs to go away . And you wonder why your car don't get fixed ? The whole system needs to be totally changed as it will not make it the way it is.   

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 03:40:33 PM »
Lincoln tech:  Thanks for your knowledgeable comments and perspective.  You're right...things have certainly changed.  And needs to be changed again...for the better this time!

What you wrote here really sums it up perfectly:
One more thing, Ford dealers don't want to deal with Lincolns so they will blow you away saying they're booked up ( look here comes another pain in the ass Lincoln owner ) LOL  Good luck.

Some more personal anecdotal perspective that is probably relatable to long time Lincoln owners too: From the early '60s until 1990, my mom always drove new Cadillacs (we weren't rich...my dad drove the same VW Beetle for ten years to make that happen with our family budget.)

As the quality of the Caddys got worse and worse, in late 1989 I convinced my parents to sell their nearly new Fleetwood (a total POS from day one) and go drive this new Japanese luxury car called Lexus. They weren't too eager to buy a Japanese product, but I convinced them that I'd been to the press intro, and magazine-tested them, and Lexus definitely had raised the "standard of the world" to be Lexus, not Cadillac. 

My parents begrudgingly went to the Lexus dealer, expecting to find a large Camry, but once they drove the LS400, they were sold. At the first service, I went with my mom just to see how everything went. I didn't tell anyone at the dealer about my magazine or Toyota connections. When the service manager came out personally to give her the keys, she thanked him and said "Now that's Cadillac service...from the 1960s!"  We all shared a laugh over that. 

I told that story to the head of Lexus Division, and he said he'd relay it to all of the dealer principals.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 03:44:33 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »
As the quality of the Caddys got worse and worse, in late 1989 I convinced my parents to sell their nearly new Fleetwood (a total POS from day one) and go drive this new Japanese luxury car called Lexus. They weren't too eager to buy a Japanese product, but I convinced them that I'd been to the press intro, and magazine-tested them, and Lexus definitely had raised the "standard of the world" to be Lexus, not Cadillac.

When Japanese cars came here they were junk. They did their homework and became the standard of the world. Think German cars are tops - just take a look at % of retail value of a used Japanese car vs a BMW or Mercedes.
I was looking for a new SUV to tow our travel trailer - ruled out the V6 only Expedition right away. The Chevy Tahoe was on the list but with recent service problems/lies with our Volt anything GM was out. The Nissan Armada with 400 hp V8 is the clear winner and 10-15 grand cheaper than a Tahoe and with a lot higher owner satisfaction.
But in the end we're keeping our 300,000 mile 2004 Excursion. The trans and transfer case had been gone through when we got it and I've got a fresh 5.4 V8 to stick in it.
PS swapped the 2013 Volt for a 2015 Lincoln MXC with 60,000 miles. It's got every option but the 2.3 engine and I expect my rebranded Escape to last as long as our first Escape did. We've had great service at a Ford/Lincoln dealer in Monrovia CA. Just had the Flex in because the AC was erratic. The control panel took a dump. We dropped it off on Thursday and they called Monday that it was done.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 05:08:39 PM »

When Japanese cars came here they were junk. They did their homework and became the standard of the world. Think German cars are tops - just take a look at % of retail value of a used Japanese car vs a BMW or Mercedes.
I was looking for a new SUV to tow our travel trailer - ruled out the V6 only Expedition right away. The Chevy Tahoe was on the list but with recent service problems/lies with our Volt anything GM was out. The Nissan Armada with 400 hp V8 is the clear winner and 10-15 grand cheaper than a Tahoe and with a lot higher owner satisfaction.
But in the end we're keeping our 300,000 mile 2004 Excursion. The trans and transfer case had been gone through when we got it and I've got a fresh 5.4 V8 to stick in it.
PS swapped the 2013 Volt for a 2015 Lincoln MXC with 60,000 miles. It's got every option but the 2.3 engine and I expect my rebranded Escape to last as long as our first Escape did. We've had great service at a Ford/Lincoln dealer in Monrovia CA. Just had the Flex in because the AC was erratic. The control panel took a dump. We dropped it off on Thursday and they called Monday that it was done.

Be careful on what Escape models/years are the good, bad and ugly. Since I'm in the market for one, I have researched it to death. The good years are 2007, 2010-2012, and 2018-2019. Absolutely stay away from 2013/2014. The earlier years 2002-2004/5 do have the transmission/miss fires/stalling/braking problems. Hybrids with the Toyota batts and electric drive systems are 'rated' for only 8 years. Some last more, some don't. Tons of Hybrids currently on the market with around 100K (or more) miles that are on the verge of taking a dump. Again, do your research!!
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 07:05:42 PM »
Be careful on what Escape models/years are the good, bad and ugly. The earlier years 2002-2004/5 do have the transmission/miss fires/stalling/braking problems.
Our 2005 had 250,000+ miles on it when I sold it. other than some tires and a couple brake pad changes the only thing it needed was a $69 ebay radiator (orig tank cracked) and a $30 fuel pressure regulator. Bought it new and did 5,000 mile Mobil 1 changes. After about 230,000 I didn't even change the oil just added a quart when it was low.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless

crossboss

• ^My Current Project^
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 08:30:18 PM »
Be careful on what Escape models/years are the good, bad and ugly. The earlier years 2002-2004/5 do have the transmission/miss fires/stalling/braking problems.
Our 2005 had 250,000+ miles on it when I sold it. other than some tires and a couple brake pad changes the only thing it needed was a $69 ebay radiator (orig tank cracked) and a $30 fuel pressure regulator. Bought it new and did 5,000 mile Mobil 1 changes. After about 230,000 I didn't even change the oil just added a quart when it was low.

Good to know. I hear that the Escapes can and do run for 200K and more miles. Very reliable cars.
Past owned Shelby's:
1968 GT-350--Gold
1968/70 Olds 442 W-30

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 08:37:25 PM »
Fords service sucks. My 2018 F-150 Platinum is my last American car. Few things were wrong on the truck that dealers have no idea how to fix it. Love the truck but that's it. Next 2 cars will be a Mercedes. A Mercedes-AMG E 63 S Wagon and a SUV E63 S . Last 2 cars normal cars should last me till I croak  ;)

Grumpy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2022, 08:41:53 PM »
Good to know. I hear that the Escapes can and do run for 200K and more miles. Very reliable cars.
[/quote]

How are the new ones. Daughter is looking for a new car for the dogs.  8)

Don Johnston

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2022, 11:13:10 PM »
I only have been driving Explorers but try to rent an Escape when traveling.  Last one was a 2020 and liked everything about the spirited four cylnder.  Only con was the rear hatch door that swings sideways rather lifting up. 8)

As far as Ford dealers, I agree about all the negative comments concerning the more recent atttitudes of the local dealers.  My favorite dealer never charged me ADM, even on performance or luxury level Fords.  During the economic downturns during the middle east wars, he sold off some of his personal collector cars to make payroll without laying off any employees.  He was a premier dealer of performance Fords and major promoter for those in the service. He has now passed and the new owner is horrible. Only two of the original staff of forty remain after eight years.  They left or were let go because they spent too much time with customers building relationships.  The turnover in managers is rediculous, mostly brought in from other States, young and little experience but work for a much lower salary.  Moral is lower than sea level. But service department is good when Ford eventually sends the needed parts.  8)

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2022, 11:16:08 PM »
Don, where you live, I'd imagine you're literally a captive audience to whatever a car dealer wants to do. Not many other dealers to choose from.
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

rhjanes

• R "Junior" Janes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2022, 11:45:33 PM »
Service:   About a year ago my wife's 2015 Civic wouldn't start.  We waited an hour and a half for the tow, on a Friday night.  Took it a few miles to the closest Honda dealer where it was dropped off at something like 8 PM when service was closed.  Around 7:45 AM the next day, Saturday, we got a call and text from the service advisor.  He had a list of stuff, starter out, needed the drive belt, some other thing and some fluids.  We approved on the phone and also on text for everything except some of the fluids, which I'd changed but their computers don't know that.  At 1 PM, on a Saturday, they called and said "Come get it".  I told them wife was gone and if they could come get me.....they dispatched their driver who showed up 30 minutes later after texting me twice of his progress.  All done on a Saturday in just 5 hours!

My 2019 F250 SD, last February it wouldn't open the doors.  Both batteries were DOA, I tested and tried to charge up.  They were just three years old according to their date stamps.  And only 2.5 years in service.  I had it towed to Ford as they would warranted the batteries. I called as soon as the tow left the house and told the Ford Service guy it was on the way.  He called me back at 4:55 PM on a Tuesday to tell me both batteries would be replaced at Fords expense.  Since I'd not heard from them at 2 PM Wednesday, I called.  To find out they had just THEN ordered the batteries!  Say WHAT!  BOTH my local parts houses had their house batteries in stock for the truck AND one of them had TWO Motorcrafts in stock for it!  I got the truck back on Thursday at noon.   If I would have just bought the batteries, I'd have it done by 6 PM on Tuesday. 

Honda replaces a starter and did something like four other repairs, in five hours on a SATURDAY.
Ford took a Wednesday and half a Thursday to replace two batteries.
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2022, 07:52:00 AM »

How are the new ones. Daughter is looking for a new car for the dogs.  8)

Ordered 2022 SEL AWD for my wife in march took delivery in June so it took 3 months , so far 900 miles on it fun to drive, plenty power and has few neat toys , and the price was great. Stay away from older ecoboost models ( 2013-2019 ) as they ALL had bad engines , poor guys in the shop are still replacing them . If you decide to buy extended warranty insist on Ford Premium Care Plan don't let them sell you aftermarket garbage as you see advertised.               
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 08:36:54 AM by Lincoln tech »