Author Topic: Power Steering Hoses  (Read 2135 times)

Carl111

• View Profile
Power Steering Hoses
« on: August 09, 2022, 06:42:15 PM »
Hello Everyone, I am a long time Shelby owner (1967 GT500 # 3081) but new here. I am assembling the power steering cooler and hoses. I found a few pictures by searching the site but would love a few more. Does anyone have a few to post here? Thank you so much.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Power Steering Hoses
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 07:07:40 PM »
Hello Everyone, I am a long time Shelby owner (1967 GT500 # 3081) but new here. I am assembling the power steering cooler and hoses. I found a few pictures by searching the site but would love a few more. Does anyone have a few to post here? Thank you so much.
Don't make the mistake that many do. The cooler was assembled with hoses before being installed. The hose was pushed up all the way to the bend in the cooler tube. The crimp clamps were added a little forward of that .The hoses then were pushed through the holes  in the radiator support. The crimp clamps will be on the outside forward of the radiator support if installed like factory. Many people make the mistake of mounting the cooler and crimping the clamps once mounted to the radiator support on the inside of the engine compartment. It is actually easier to do it the way the factory did which is most likely why they did it. FYI this was done on the Ford line based on historic photos and  no reason to think differently for 68. Try to find return hose that does NOT have any texture in it. The original was smooth on the outside with no texture.Of course if you are unsure of yourself you can leave the hose long and cut to length for the P/S pump and lower P/S hose return line at the junction. Both hose ends used the crimp clamp in those hard to get to places from the factory. In 68 those two places used the screw drive Wittek clamp.Both 67 and 68 used the crimp clamps at the P/S cooler.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 08:23:02 PM »

Which ever worker was assigned this task of crimping the hoses to the cooler there was at least one or two of the possible three that liked to stagger the clamp position slightly. The results found on many not all of unrestored cars is that one clamp ends up in front of the radiator support and one behind one the colloer is in place. Here are four that were handy - surely I have more but this should show both versions/locations

Also note that the clamps don't appear to have been tightened using the fancy tool made specifically for that style of clamp

Hope it helps

One example where clamps are both visible from the front of the radiator support

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:25:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

S412gofast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 08:08:42 AM »
what is the length of hose needed to properly route hoses and install power steering cooler?
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 12:48:37 PM »
  Hose length, if I have to guess is 6 feet will do your car.  Probably a little less.
    The hose is the issue. 1) as mentioned, it is smooth on the outside, and 2) it is at least twice as thick as fuel line hose. 3) the size I.D. is 3/8
   So, can somebody post where to get some at?

S412gofast

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 10:08:47 AM »
  Hose length, if I have to guess is 6 feet will do your car.  Probably a little less.
    The hose is the issue. 1) as mentioned, it is smooth on the outside, and 2) it is at least twice as thick as fuel line hose. 3) the size I.D. is 3/8

I recall either reading here in a prior post or on concoursmustang that Mansfield Mustang carries this hose.  Can anyone confirm that they carry the correct hose?
1967 GT350 01341, FORD Build: 2/28/67 ; SAI Build 3/28/67
1966 GT 2+2, 4spd, PS, tinted windows, Raven Black w/Black Pony interior; FORD Build: 10/11/65
1986 SVO, Oxford White w/Leather interior
1987 Saleen #132 Dark Gray Metallic

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 04:32:36 PM »

I recall either reading here in a prior post or on concoursmustang that Mansfield Mustang carries this hose.  Can anyone confirm that they carry the correct hose?
Mansfield carries "A" hose  but it does not look the way it should from a originality standpoint IMO..
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Carl111

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 10:08:00 AM »
Thank you all so much, that is great information. I was also wondering about where the hoses come together by the rubber block/support bracket. Does anyone have any pictures or info of that area?

Thanks again.

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 11:04:22 AM »
These are some references of the bracket and location ... hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:31:10 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 05:49:28 PM »
I thought it important to mention that the P/S hoses from the control valve to the junction block in the picture are clocked in the proper position in relation to the ground. It is hard to get them parallel to the ground like the factory . It is very common to have them hanging down where something  can possible hook them.  It is a common deduction in concours. It is in your best interest to have them in the proper position.

Carl111

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 01:00:11 PM »
Wow, thank you JD (and Bob), that is exactly what I'm looking for.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023, 02:43:45 PM »
I thought I would add that I have gotten a sample of PS cooler hose from Jack @ Dead Nuts On and I am happy to report that it is as close as I have ever found in a modern equivalent .