Author Topic: White on Parchment Gt500 1967  (Read 2459 times)

capecodmustang.com

• View Profile
Re: White on Parchment Gt500 1967
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 03:09:57 PM »
I just sold # 1313 ...
White on parchment...

rcgt350

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 12:30:19 AM »
My car(0031) has the welded on washers in the shock towers, they weren’t added, factory original

427hunter

• SAAC Member
  • Caretaker of 1969 gt500 #602 and 1966 gt350 #853
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 10:54:00 AM »
My car(0031) has the welded on washers in the shock towers, they weren’t added, factory original

Maybe it's an early vs late thing or who knows, if Bob said some had them then some had them. The original cars I have seen did not have them but that a limited number of original cars in my wheelhouse. I had always assumed that as SA stopped doing the suspension mods that the washer stopped being used. The later 66 cars lost the drop, over-rides, etc, so in 1967 the change to be more about looks then racing was already well under way. 
“You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means”

Inigo Montoya

“This life’s hard, man, but it’s harder if you’re stupid”

Jackie Brown

2000 hours of my life stolen by 602 over three years

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2022, 12:40:45 PM »
Whether it was useful or not that mod continued on in 68 and 69(70).
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 03:51:00 PM »

Maybe it's an early vs late thing or who knows, if Bob said some had them then some had them. The original cars I have seen did not have them but that a limited number of original cars in my wheelhouse. I had always assumed that as SA stopped doing the suspension mods that the washer stopped being used. The later 66 cars lost the drop, over-rides, etc, so in 1967 the change to be more about looks then racing was already well under way.

Trying to not go way off topic when this has been discussed in other threads....but it would be highly unusual to not have washers on an early 67. Ive never seen an early car which was reasonably "un-messed-with" which didnt have the washers.  Likewise (and I accept that this is controversial) but id consider it unusual to see washers on a mid production or later production 67. Every reasonably original, undisturbed mid and late production 67 ive ever had has lacked the washers.

That said, every car was "supposed" to get them. Clearly, many didn't. In fact, I'd say the majority likely didn't in 67. Adding the washers to a car that doesn't have them is sort of a "no harm no foul" sort of thing in my mind.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 04:11:11 PM »

Trying to not go way off topic when this has been discussed in other threads....but it would be highly unusual to not have washers on an early 67. Ive never seen an early car which was reasonably "un-messed-with" which didnt have the washers.  Likewise (and I accept that this is controversial) but id consider it unusual to see washers on a mid production or later production 67. Every reasonably original, undisturbed mid and late production 67 ive ever had has lacked the washers.

That said, every car was "supposed" to get them. Clearly, many didn't. In fact, I'd say the majority likely didn't in 67. Adding the washers to a car that doesn't have them is sort of a "no harm no foul" sort of thing in my mind.

Kind regards,
Vern
Hey Vern, interesting observation and point of view about the shock tower caps (beehives), which your statements seem very similar to what I was trying to convey in a past post about the shock caps.  At least I'm not the only Shelby enthusiast with these controversial thoughts!!