Author Topic: Question about the correct operation of new Koni shocks  (Read 1594 times)

Question about the correct operation of new Koni shocks
« on: August 11, 2022, 11:43:50 PM »
I've been building cars for years and feel stupid for asking a question about these new shocks are supposed to work, but swallowing my pride, here it goes:

I just bought a new set of shocks for my 1969 GT500 and I elected to buy the KONI: 8250 1030.
They are the orange shocks sold by CJPP and are a correct fit for me car (wrong color but I painted them dark blue).

I always remember new shocks coming in a box with a strap holding them compressed for easier installation, and you can cut the strap during the install.  These new orange Koni shocks came in a new box but were not compressed and even more strange, when I manually compress them, they really don't just snap back into place like I would expect.

Question: Is this normal ?
It takes quite a bit of force to compress them or pull them apart, but they do not seem to have a memory or automatically rebound once they are compressed.

I bought a full set (front and rear) but have not installed them yet.

Please advise.

Thanks

Mike

Speed Six

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the correct operation of new Koni shocks
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 01:15:26 AM »
Mike - the ones compressed with a strap are gas filled ones, Bilstein for example. They do have a gas reservoir which helps expanding, hence the strap.
Konis donīt have gas, so no strap needed.

Ralf

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 03:28:14 PM »
I thought you should know that although the shocks will work on your 69 Shelby application those shocks do not have the correct shape as far as the body or the correct appearance as far as the shock head. Painting them blue will help not draw attention to them for the casual observer however any knowledgeable 69/70 Shelby enthusiast will easily be able to pick out that they are a after market replacement as soon as they look at the shock head bolted to the upper shock bracket. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

vtgt500

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 10:20:06 AM »
I have used the Koni Special D shocks on my '68 since purchase in '77.  As bought, it has Gabriel HiJackers.  I don't think those were original????
Anyhow, the Koni shocks are just fine, but can't compare to modern, gas shocks.  I guess since you're concerned with concours nonsense, perhaps a performance gas shock would be a better choice?