Author Topic: Need help identifying correct intake for 428 SCJ.  (Read 1905 times)

Need help identifying correct intake for 428 SCJ.
« on: August 12, 2022, 12:34:55 AM »
My 69 GT500 has been running with a (1968 427 s.o) since about 1970.  My drag pack car was raced and blew the 428 so the PO went back to Gotham Ford and got a replacement 427 to continue racing.

I have my original 428 SCJ block, crank, rods, and most pistons, balancer, etc... but 2 cylinders need sleeved due to the bottom of cylinder wall being chipped.  The original heads, carb, and exhaust manifolds from my 428 SCJ were transferred over the the 427 and the PO went with an aftermarket performance Edelbrock (single four barrel intake) so it would work with the fresh air hood.

With plans to put my original engine back together again, I have an opportunity to buy a 428 intake from a good friend and would like to know how to identify it and make sure it is correct for my car.  Aside from the casting number, are there other identifiers such as date, etc.. that would make it right / wrong ?  What should I be looking for?

Build date on my car is Feb 5, 1969.

This is one of the major missing parts to put my 428 SCJ back together.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: Need help identifying correct intake for 428 SCJ.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 04:44:20 AM »
Easiest and major thing for many would be that it were cast (the intake) before the engine was assembled but lacking the original engine to compare the assembly date to I would suggest you aim for something two to three months before the car was completed according to the Marti report. That would likely place it in an "acceptable range" for many people given your specific situation. So maybe something around Mid to late Nov into Dec 68 Looking quickly at some dates I see I have one example built near the 13th of Feb with an intake cast on 8L30
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

JohnB

• View Profile

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 08:57:39 AM »
Easiest and major thing for many would be that it were cast (the intake) before the engine was assembled but lacking the original engine to compare the assembly date to I would suggest you aim for something two to three months before the car was completed according to the Marti report. That would likely place it in an "acceptable range" for many people given your specific situation. So maybe something around Mid to late Nov into Dec 68 Looking quickly at some dates I see I have one example built near the 13th of Feb with an intake cast on 8L30
So with this what do you think about a matching numbers R-code built June 1 but with a 9E8 block and 9E3 intake date codes? That would be 4 weeks and 1 day for intake and 3 weeks 3 days for the block. before the car was built. Too early? The car is on BaT right now. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ford-mustang-mach-1-34/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:00:18 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 09:12:03 AM »
The lead time for various parts changes during the production cycle. Unless you have multiple examples for the same time frame and know the history of the car it's difficult to say its matching.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 09:37:21 AM »
The lead time for various parts changes during the production cycle. Unless you have multiple examples for the same time frame and know the history of the car it's difficult to say its matching.
Thanks. What bothered me on the SCJ was that it has the 02 stamped on the block according to the seller but is so horribly stamped I was wondering if original or not.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 12:30:56 PM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 10:03:29 AM »
It doesn't look like a full VIN to me.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 11:46:24 AM »
It doesn't look like a full VIN to me.
look closely at the pic 9T02 is upside down then the 59 is rightside up. I don't see an "R" but have not seen the body style yet on a virgin block . Like I said a horrible stamping. Usually those restamping blocks do a "nice job" .
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 11:49:58 AM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 11:52:17 AM »
Why do you think its the bodystyle?

Maybe the numbers are transposed? Considering all the correct numbers are present and they are not aligned or even the same side up, I dont think its a stretch?

Not every car was perfectly stamped and can be identified.

Im just wondering what is being gained by giving everyone that sells a car an anal exam in public?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 11:55:51 AM by Coralsnake »

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 12:28:23 PM »
Why do you think its the bodystyle?

Maybe the numbers are transposed? Considering all the correct numbers are present and they are not aligned or even the same side up, I dont think its a stretch?

Not every car was perfectly stamped and can be identified.

Im just wondering what is being gained by giving everyone that sells a car an anal exam in public?
I said I didn't know or am claiming a restamp block. The seller thinks by looking at his block and pics he took that it is a 9T02. He is saying it. Here is one I would go out on a limb and say it is  a good chance  a restamped block. The question came up here from Jeff's original comment on lead times for castings. Try not to read into something I'm not saying. I have never claimed on any auction a RESTAMPED block for good reason-can't prove it. MODIFIED other post to say BODY STYLE(Missing R for one) but also posted link and pic from auction for clarity.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 12:32:29 PM by shelbymann1970 »
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2022, 01:35:00 PM »
I think my point about the numbers and interpretation is repeatedly proven correct

Its best left to people with some experience and not to amateurs

Posting the numbers for people is a waste of time 99%, because they have no clue what they are looking at and no base of reference
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 02:18:00 PM by Coralsnake »

Lincoln tech

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 02:46:48 PM »
I wonder that myself  ??? But it seems to be there All the time .

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 06:29:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies...
I have what I need to make sure it's right and matches my block.

Cheers,

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 06:49:09 PM »
So with this what do you think about a matching numbers R-code built June 1 but with a 9E8 block and 9E3 intake date codes? That would be 4 weeks and 1 day for intake and 3 weeks 3 days for the block. before the car was built. Too early?....................

What do I think?  Based on other examples from that same time period and plant its unusual IMHO.  Too early?  Can't prove that and have seen similar or even shorted  examples that have been offered over the years. This is especially possible given the locations (how close they are to one another) the car and the engine plant when compared to other engine and car plants we see on other Ford products
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2022, 08:13:39 AM »
So with this what do you think about a matching numbers R-code built June 1 but with a 9E8 block and 9E3 intake date codes? That would be 4 weeks and 1 day for intake and 3 weeks 3 days for the block. before the car was built. Too early?....................

What do I think?  Based on other examples from that same time period and plant its unusual IMHO.  Too early?  Can't prove that and have seen similar or even shorted  examples that have been offered over the years. This is especially possible given the locations (how close they are to one another) the car and the engine plant when compared to other engine and car plants we see on other Ford products
One thing I have wondered is while there are patterns what about SCJs? The vast majority of 428 cars were CJs. Could SCJs been built in batches so you could have seen more swings in date codes than reg CJ engines? Hence a block that could have been later or earlier than a norm you would find for CJs? Just a thought.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990